The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Megalithic Poems

Pages: 97 – [ Previous | 117 18 19 20 21 22 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wiggy
1696 posts

Re: 'Rudyard Kipling
Jan 04, 2006, 12:03
Yep. I was sort of trying to say what you said, but I didn't make a very good job of it. ;0)

I think seven gave us an interesting nugget of info there - I just wasn't sure if it was out of mischief or not.=;0)
Wiggy
1696 posts

Jan 04, 2006, 12:07
....I think Kiplings dislike of Germans pre-dated WW1, but obviously the loss of his son would have made things worse.
I think I remember seeing a telly programme about the letters written between Kipling and his son during The Great War. Did you see it?
PeterH
PeterH
1180 posts

Jan 04, 2006, 12:45
No 'fraid not.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

A Game of Henge
Jan 07, 2006, 17:29
<b>Stonehenge</b>, from <b>A Game of Henge<b/> by Philip Goss, is now up on Meg Poems at http://megalithicpoems.blogspot.com/ with an accompanying illustration from <b>Milton<b/> by William Blake. Thanks to Nigel for drawing my attention to the former.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: A Game of Henge
Jan 07, 2006, 17:34
Bugger... one too many at the Chelmer Inn :-)

<b>Stonehenge</b>, from <b>A Game of Henge</b> by Philip Goss, is now up on Meg Poems at http://megalithicpoems.blogspot.com/ with an accompanying illustration from <b>Milton</b> by William Blake. Thanks to Nigel for drawing my attention to the former.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Calling photobabe
Jan 13, 2006, 19:00
photobabe, may I have your permission to use your illustration 'Forever watchful... The keepers of The Stones' to illustrate a poem by Donny McIntyre on Megalithic Poems? The poem is a is follows -

<b>Us, soldiers of the stony hearth</b>

Us, soldiers of the stony hearth
Hewing homage to a crowded sky
Hanging heaven onto maiden Earth
Cut stone forever cannot die.

From us, builders, comes forth god
From us, darkness comes forth light
From us all is overawed.
Us, sculptured artists of the night.

Thirteen twelve's, a sacred number
Cut in stone in all we've made
All we've made is torn asunder,
But stone remains, while all will fade.

"Ah, Man! Your stone remains, but NOT forever.
All Rocks. All Man. All dust together."

Donny McIntyre
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Megalithic Poems
Jan 15, 2006, 19:06
Came across another Paul Nash painting of "Megaliths in the landscape", it had Avebury stones, Silbury and a hillfort, with a large sun. In the foreground he had painted a small shrub with a snakelike stick centred on the sun - its in the Albright Museum USA....
Not sure what the symbolic repesentation means, know he was a war artist and his starkness partly represents the terrible things he saw but its an intriguing painting - my illustration is black and white, the original was painted in soft shades of yellow, an optimistic colour..
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jan 15, 2006, 19:09
Thanks moss, do you have a link to that?
baza
baza
1308 posts

Jan 15, 2006, 19:33
http://www.albrightknox.org/pastexh/line1.html
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jan 15, 2006, 20:21
Thanks baza.