21 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Cornish books?
Oct 12, 2004, 07:43
I've got a few good books on Cornwall!

"Cornovia - Ancient Sites of Cornwall & Scilly" by Craig Weatherhill (ISBN 1-871060-31-1)
"Belerion - Ancient Sites of Land's End" by Craig Weatherhill (ISBN 1-871060-32-X)
"Fentynow Kernow - In Search of Cornwall's Holy Wells" by Cheryl Straffon (ISBN 0-9518859-5-2)
"Megalithic Mysteries of Cornwall" by Cheryl Straffon (ISBN 0-9518859-8-7)
"Secret Shrines - In Search of the Old Holy Wells of Cornwall" by Paul Broadhurst (ISBN 0-9515783-2-1)
"Ancient and Holy Wells of Cornwall" by M and L Quiller-Couch (ISBN 0-9512822-5-5)

I'm sure I've got some more - I'll have a look later...

The Craig Weatherhill ones are prety good - lots of sites including standing stones, stone circles, hillforts, settlements, fogous, barrows, henges, cists, inscribed stones, etcetcetc... with directions and map refs.

Fentynow Kernnow is good for a list of loads of holy wells - but the directions are often misleading, unfortunately! Good to know roughly where they are, though, with a little bit of info about each of them.

The Quiller-Couch one is a bit of a classy act... Originally started by Cornwall's own Dr Thomas Quiller-Couch and finished by his daughters - first published 1894 and reprinted by Tamara Publications. Lovely book but because of the age of it, many of the wells mentioned are now completely ruined or unfindable... Excellent if you're interested in such things!

The other Cheryl Straffon one and the Paul Broadhurst one I've only flicked through but look excellent. Earth Mysteries seems to offer a slightly more esoteric look at the sites, and Secret Shrines is just a beautiful looking book! She also does a set of 4 books called "The Earth Mysteries Guides to Ancient Sites in Cornwall" which are small but quite comprehensive (and only about £4 each)...

Hope this is of some use! :o)

G x

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index