The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Fear Egg Chances

3 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Annexus Quam
926 posts

The Megalithic European
Oct 07, 2004, 18:00
I never said I had an 'advanced copy'! Just talking about the enormous importance of the new book in terms of previously unknown areas of Megalithic Europe (like Iberia) being exposed for the first time in history, as well as visited by anyone (possibly for the second or third time!). It truly is an achievement to have covered so much in such little time by the author himself *experiencing* the sites.

Well, Balfour's was a good try and is pretty much the only previous attempt at a coffee table book of such a scale, and I like the book; but he never visited most of the places, the photos in some cases are poor (see the Xarez cromlech in Portugal, it is only a photo of yellow grass and compare it with the one I posted on the Guilfin site) or confused (Poulnabroke), and obviously many areas are left untouched. Not sure about the site you mention.

Needless to say, no book will ever possibly do anything but scratch the surface of all the monuments in Europe (50,000) but the European is definitely the first attempt from a British perspective (and this is what any other author has failed in doing) to show that the sites are there, that they *exist* and that they rock, even in the remotest of locations/countries. In this way, it will produce the necessary 400-site Iberian, Scando-Germanic and French Antiquarians in due course (comparable to the Modern Antiquarian) by inspiring the unaware persons in those countries with their own unknown heritage.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index