PLEASE SIGN PETITION, only takes 1 min

15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: PLEASE SIGN PETITION, only takes 1 m
May 23, 2004, 00:12
If Nigel is taking 'issue with the suggestion that the conservators seemed to be following the rule' then he would appear to be disputing the rule's validity.*

We can argue the toss on this 'til the cows come home while drifting into the realm of semantics and away from what's important - the conservation of Silbury.

I do not know why polystyrene was used at Silbury but to argue that it was just a cheap fix may not necessarily be correct (though possibly a factor). Somebody somewhere will have the answer as to why polystyrene was used and once that information is in the public domain we'll be in a position to argue whether or not it was the best choice - remembering meanwhile that the conservation of Silbury is probably unique and that a rapid 'interim' solution was called for. That interim solution may have become a semi-permanent solution but that's where petitions like this are important - in keeping the question alive.

Meanwhile, I too will put money on the fact that there's not a single conservator out there who doesn't fret and have sleepless nights about things under his or her care. The conservators I know are all totally committed to their work and when problems do arise it's more often the bureaucracy that's to blame not the girls and the guys in the rain and up to their necks in mud.

*The rule being that in all spheres of conservation no procedure is undertaken and no material is employed which is not reversible.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index