Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Thornborough Henge Central »
Yorkshire shows the Egyptians how to do it!

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Re: Yorkshire shows the Egyptians how to do it!
Mar 17, 2004, 12:11
I had a thought last night about this. I was out at about 9.30 and at that time the belt was in the west and was pointing more or less north south.

I was thinknig about the mirror image aspect. Why do we think of it as a mirror image? Surely this has a lot to do with perspective, for example if you saw the horizon contunuing into the stars - a heavenly globe - then Thornborough is not a mirror image - like anything there are two ways of looking at this and we are putting our modern knowledge into the minds of people who lacked this info.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Mar 17, 2004, 12:32
I see you're point, but as it happens the 3 stars and the 3 henges are equidistant, so Thornboro is/is not a mirror image/a true image depending on which way you look at it!

I didn't know it was said to be a mirror image. That seems groundless, for the above reason but also because I agree with you - the most likely reaction to something in the sky would be to try to replicate it not mirror it. Why would you?
Steve Gray
Steve Gray
931 posts

Mar 17, 2004, 13:17
I think this mirror thing may have originated from the pyramid layout being "upside down" compared with the belt, which was one of the criticisms levelled at Hancock's theory. Menkare's pyramid (the smallest one) is the most southerly, whereas Mintaka (the star it would represent) is the most northerly in the sky.

Mind you, as George said it depends which way you look at it. How do you represent the night sky on Earth, as you see it, or so that each star is "above" its Earthly counterpart (i.e. as a mirror image)?
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index