Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Ayup matey!
Oct 03, 2003, 00:48
You'll love Yorks anyway!

Marlborough Mound?

It's a few hundred yards on tarmac, concrete & paving to get round the college buildings and reach the Mound. I can't remember any 'problem' bits. But remember you're REALLY supposed to get permission.... (Ahem.) So you COULD get stopped from seeing it.

All I can say is it hasn't seemed likely on either of my visits. There was absolutely NOBODY about on the Sunday morning I went, and on the Monday PM there were quite a few kids etc about but nobody took any notice.

Climbing the mound is more difficult from the crutches point of view. Even for someone who can manage the steps up it which are well defined and solid, I seem to remember that they don't quite reach the bottom & there is a few feet of steep grass bank first. I'm 'busking' that though & could be wrong. It's well worth seeing from ground level anyway.

As I think I said in my first fieldnotes, if you follow the main road round the college and find the visitors' car park, just look above the college buildings & you'll see the tops of some trees that seem unfeasibly high. That's coz they're on top of the Mound! Just walk round the buildings & you'll find it.

About meeting up sometime, yeah - definitely. I'll be down south a lot more often now!

love

Moth
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index