Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Holy Wells
Oct 21, 2015, 13:04
goffik wrote:
Hello all!

I'm currently knocking up a website dedicated to holy wells - predominantly in Cornwall, but will be spreading my wings as and when I can find more info about them...

I have been to about 25 of the ones in Cheryl Straffon's "Fentynow Kernow" book, but have been unable to find some of them due to unclear directions... I have several other books on the subject which don't have location details either. I want to rectify this on my site.

I am a regular visitor to Cornwall, and get a few under me belt every time I'm there, but some have been driving me nuts!

Any thoughts/feelings/experiences of these places would be nice, but directions would be better! In particular: St Kew, St Phillack, and Lelant (the Fairy Well). I'm sure that after my next visit there will be more, but I'd love to know where these are befor my next visit in mid-September...

Also, I don't know how you feel about these being posted here, as most have been *recently* Christianised, but most, if not all, have a history of pre-Christian water worship, etc... so I believe them to be VERY relevant.

I would like to take this opportunity to say that I have grown to love you all very much over the past year or so, and am sorry that some of you are feeling disheartened about the way the forums are going. Just ignore the idiots - the novelty will soon wear off for them! ;o)

But any help with the holy wells malarkey would be lovely!

Thanks all
G
xxx

Hi Goff...
Did you manage to make good use of that disc I sent you with all dem old books on including the ones with the wells?
You were going to let me know but I'm still waiting!! ;-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index