Detectorists

Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4648 posts

Detectorists
May 16, 2017, 09:34
Best news of the week.....

A third series of the brilliant Detectorist is being filmed this summer! Can't wait.
https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/2518/detectorists_series_3/
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4648 posts

Re: Detectorists
May 16, 2017, 09:45
Sanctuary wrote:
Best news of the week.....

A third series of the brilliant Detectorist is being filmed this summer! Can't wait.
https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/2518/detectorists_series_3/

PS
Series 1 is currently being re-run on BBC2 10pm Mondays.
Moon Cat
9702 posts

May 18, 2017, 18:29
That is good news, though in a way, it ended perfectly.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4648 posts

May 18, 2017, 19:06
Moon Cat wrote:
That is good news, though in a way, it ended perfectly.

It did in one way, but I'm wondering if it's going to go full circle and ends with them finally finding the Saxon boat burial treasure they walked away from at the end of the first series.
laresident
laresident
856 posts

May 19, 2017, 04:25
Love that show, as they say in Hollywood. It's on Netflix over here. Makes me think of you lucky lot with your good tv and green land. I don't think it's likely to be Americanized but I would be concerned about detector wielding Yanks coming over to have a go.
nigelswift
7401 posts

May 19, 2017, 07:28
laresident wrote:
I would be concerned about detector wielding Yanks coming over to have a go.
Many hundreds already do. A number of detecting holiday firms cater specifically for North American detectorists.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4648 posts

May 19, 2017, 07:40
laresident wrote:
Love that show, as they say in Hollywood. It's on Netflix over here. Makes me think of you lucky lot with your good tv and green land. I don't think it's likely to be Americanized but I would be concerned about detector wielding Yanks coming over to have a go.

Hi Laresident..
Yes I read only yesterday that is was now on Netflix. As a 'user' myself it's a great hobby and have even been given permission to sweep a site when working alongside archaeologists. Play by the rules, get the necessary permissions and it is open to all.
It's sort of akin to fishing. The expectation of initially getting a bite then landing a tiddler is just the same as getting an initial beep signal and finding a ring pull. And of course they get you out and about in the open countryside which is reward alone.
laresident
laresident
856 posts

May 19, 2017, 22:16
All sounds like good precedure.

Not much detectoring in these parts. The native Californians existed happily as a stone culture for ten thousand years till the Spanish arrived. Even the exact location of most their villages is unknown. As they preferred places with water and lots of food, the sites were favored by the newcomers who soon bulldozed any remains. The land in LA and the surrounding valleys was especially rich in food, well watered and supported the most dense native population in North America. The fertile conditions were great for the European's agriculture, who were later surprised and even more blessed to find huge oil fields beneath it.

In Northern California a particularly shameful extermination was carried out during the gold rush. The native environment was destroyed by the mining and a living could be made by the state condoned collecting of scalps. I'm just reading about the last one called Ishi. He died soon after he was taken in by Berkeley university early in the last century.

Bit of a diatribe, I should have probably taken it next door.
giNgko_C
giNgko_C
363 posts

May 27, 2017, 01:42
Me and the Ms have only watched an episode and a half and the pathos and atmosphere is so palpable you wish Boris Johnson were not the illegitemate offspring of your old Archaeology teacher.

Is Mr Smallwood still alive? I know his power diminished on every six year cycle but I'm sure his field research is still there among the dripping autumnal noses and the disparaging Tesco.
The Village Pump Index