Turntables

34 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9704 posts

Re: Turntables
Mar 08, 2017, 20:47
Kid Calamity wrote:
I'm a bit out of touch with what's good and what's overrated, but I'm looking into getting a turntable.

Basically, I was given a rather nice looking Technics one, by a friend. He convinced me it had been treated well, by his late father in law, and as he'd already a good one, passed it on to me. Lovely.

So, over the last week or so, I've been trawling eBay for a good amplifier - and bagged what I hope is a cracking one by Cambridge Audio. So far, so good. Just need to source some speakers now. Anyway, last night I plumbed the turntable and amp into a sideboard. Turntable of top, leads down the back, out of sight and the amp in a cupboard with leads passed in through a hole in the back. Nice a discrete. Then, the check I'd plugged everything in right, lifted the turntable arm to check the power was on... and there's a horrible noise from the motor. The noise continues even when I've removed the turntable base. The motor's screwed.

So...

I need a turntable.

I could also do with a bit of good luck, these days.

I have an Ariston deck that's been keeping me happy for the last 15 years or so. I married it with a Cambridge Audio amp and Gale speakers. I'm not really an audiophile, but for what I spent back then, it's been a decent set up for vinyl (and cassette and cd) doings.
Topic Outline:

The Village Pump Index