What you watching 2

Pages: 20 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2085 posts

What you watching 2
Aug 21, 2016, 16:04
Figured this thread could do with a reboot for similar reasons.

Thanks indirectly to the great sin agog, I am now coming to the end of series 2 of Man Down. He is very watchable, and through his 'idiotic victim' that doesn't feel sorry for himself persona, manages to achieve a lot of genuine pathos and poignancy as well as a lot of laughs. Oh, he being Greg Davies of Taskmaster fame!

Got a couple more episodes of series 6 of Game of Thrones to catch up with. Go, Stark Family/Khaleesi! Probably the best series yet. Good to see the brotherhood of light and the hound back. Love the fact that a character can go missing for at least a series but not be forgotten about. Always got the impression that the imp, John Snow and Cersei would be around for a while - well they've managed 58 episodes that I have seen so far and always seemed central.

Granny's guide to the modern world. Liked the premise initially, but after a couple of episodes, don't feel the need to watch any more.

Friday Night Dinner - Only watched the first 2 episodes so far through no particular reason than a bad memory. Still enjoying it.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
870 posts

Re: What you watching 2
Aug 21, 2016, 16:41
Just starting on series 6 of Game of Thrones, only 2 series to go.

Finished watching the original Roots, so much I'd forgotten about from watching it when younger, but very enjoyable
Sin Agog
Sin Agog
2306 posts

Edited Aug 21, 2016, 19:12
Aug 21, 2016, 19:04
Any awkward shudders when OJ Simpson came onscreen? And Geordie LaForge is in there as well, right? I was pretty obsessed with Roots as a kid. Think I came to it based on The Autobiography of Malcolm X being the first grown-up book I really fell in love with, and Roots is based on Alex Haley's (co-writer/editor) family tree. I can't help but think the remake must be a bag of shite without even seeing it, but y'know I've been wrong before (12th May, 1993). I tried to watch the Cosmos remake too a few weeks ago, and that mad-eyed awe Carl Sagan brought to it, where he seemed so floored by the universe that it almost bordered on sexual, like he wanted to fill in the Milky Way's big black hole with his..., well that had been replaced with a lot of whooshing CGI sweeps and, a little better, SOME updated intel. Not passionate enough! And a noticeable dearth of Vangelis.

Only program I'm watching right now is Baz Luhrmann's crazy expensive birth of hip-hop epic, The Get Down. He pitched it to Netflix as "like West Side Story meets The Wire", but when camp tries to do serious it only comes across even camper. I'm alright with that, though, as this is some messy fun. I don't drink anymore, but I really wish I did so I could play a drinking game where I take a sip every time it played Can's Vitamin C whenever a train appeared. You'd think the track was called The Train Song by Train from the album Trains.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2085 posts

Aug 21, 2016, 19:32
What happened on 12th May, Sin?

I was wrong once. I underestimated how many potatoes were needed for a mash mix to go on a shepherds pie type of dish. Luckily it just about covered the dish, but I couldn't help feeling that one more large spud would have done it.
Toni Torino
2281 posts

Aug 21, 2016, 20:06
Very easy to unerestimate the amount of mashed spud requires on such a pie, I regularly do it myself.
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
870 posts

Aug 21, 2016, 20:40
There was actually, Can't watch The Naked Gun without doing that now either, and yeah, INTRODUCING LeVar Burton as not Geordi LaForge. It was good, I've got the remake to watch as well, will be interesting. I read up a bit about the book the other day, apparently Alex Haley got sued for plagiarism for one part of the book, but still interesting that it's his family roots
Captain Starlet
Captain Starlet
870 posts

Aug 21, 2016, 20:40
I got the amount of sweets in a jar wrong once. Think that was the only time though
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Aug 22, 2016, 10:44
'Wanking The Dead'. Sue Johnston plays Cynthia Plastercaster to Trevor Eve's Jerry Garcia. They've got the period down to a tee.
Stevo
Stevo
6703 posts

Aug 22, 2016, 11:36
I think unused threads fall off this particular board and get wiped in a shortish period of time. So not sure if anybody might want to preserve the previous one.

But yeah it was getting over weight. Had thought so for a while.

What am I watching?
Owen Smith waffling on in the background right now, hope that isn't going to continue beyond this month.

Mr Robot though getting confused as to what episode we're currently on. been downloading them and seem to be outof step with the timeline taht I think both IMDB and Wikipedia have. So not sure if I'm getting things numbered in a different order or if they've got those misdated.

I saw an episode of Alan Davies as Yet Untitled i hadn't seen before so wonder if season 4 has just started or if I just missed it. Kind of enjoy that show.

Olympics for gymnastics, diving, a bit of BMX and a bit of taekwondo though i'm not sure it's great as a spectator sport at least in this arena form. Wonder if a not so high level competition would be more interesting where people had the occasional slip and you didn't just wind up with people continually locked standing on one foot. Is there much punching or throwing in the sport?

Still got to watch the last couple of episodes of Hell On wheels.

Otherwise mainly older shows i think.
Still working my way through the Twilight Zones from the early 60s.
also the Avengers where I'm still in b+w Mrs Peels.
Stevo
Stevo
6703 posts

Aug 22, 2016, 11:43
The more recent Roots shows the Africans as far more human and advanced than the 70s one does. They're actually living in contact with a muslim town instead of an all mud hut village. & have access to firearms which seems totally alien to the way they're portrayed in the 70s one.

Seems like the presence of black actors in tv productions has become far more egalitarian than it was at the time of the original so they're more rounded characters. It also recognises that there was history in Africa before Western domination and slavery.

I enjoyed the recent one. Trying to think if i watched through the 70s one around the same time. I'm just aware that people seemed to just be placed in location without much grounding in that 70s one. I was thinking that Kunte's dad looked like he was waiting for a bus or something while he was waiting for his son to be born
Pages: 20 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Village Pump Index