People's record collections

37 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lascivia
Lascivia
422 posts

Re: People's record collections
Jan 22, 2003, 20:50
I can't access my collection for a while, so I'm going to just list a few items that spring to mind (and that nobody else here has mentioned yet):

The whole Kluster/Cluster/Harmonia axis. Heck, Kraftwerk was more influential, but if you want to look for proto-electronica, this is the place to find it, with everything from mantric industrial klang (Kluster) through the dark ambience of the first two Cluster albums to their melodic period. I once played some of Cluster's third album, "Zuckerzeit", for a friend and he said that if I had told him it was Mouse On Mars he would have believed it. And everyone should hear the debut Harmonia album, especially the tracks "Veterano" and "Sonnenschein"; there's a reason Eno said that Harmonia was making the world's most important rock music! (That's from 1973.)

Also of note is the reissue of Conrad Schnitzler's "Blau" (1974). The bonus tracks are especially visionary if actually from the same period, as I've seen claimed. I played one of them for some of the station's eletronica DJ's and they were stunned that it came from the 1970's. (I should mention that the tracks are actually quite good, not just visionary, with tribal rhythms in a futuristic but somewhat dubby atmosphere.)

Other mentions go to a few albums that I never see anyone else discuss: Tomorrow's Gift's "Goodbye Future" (1972) and Berrocal/Coster/Ferlet's "Musiq Musik" (1973).

I'm glad someone mentioned the "Canaxis" (1968) album (originally attributed to the Technial Space Composers' Crew, but to Holger Czukay and Rolf Dammers in the reissue). It's a really awesome melange of sampled ethnic music (and classical) with electronic treatments.

Otherwise, my list would include most of the kraut stuff others have mentioned (though not La Dusseldorf) and also include Soft Machine, Magma, Miles Davis, etc.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index