9 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 22 October 2022 CE
Oct 23, 2022, 10:17
This week’s gramophone gigs and recitals:

Aztec Camera ‘High Land, Hard Rain’ - whilst I’d always claim that Roddy Frame’s early muse is best heard at 45 RPM (much like The Teardrop Explodes, in fact), this debut album is still a mighty achievement and suffers less from 80s excess than its successive releases;
The Proclaimers ‘Dentures Out’ - as the twins hit pension age their distinctive pop muse gets ever more acerbic;
Simple Minds ‘Empires and Dance’ - the third of my Caledonian listens this week remains my favourite of their oeuvre. If only they could have maintained the invention and experimentation of their early albums;
Marillion ‘Holidays in Eden’ - prior to checking out the new deluxe remix/reissue, I played the 1991 original of Marillion’s second Hogarth-era album. I think of it much as I did then: a conscious attempt to make a commercial record with some great songs; a bit too much U2 in places for my liking but my, the playing and the verve do ring true. In fact, this sounds better to my sixty-one year old ears than it did to my thirty year old ones. Blame it on senility;
The Moody Blues ‘A Question of Balance’ - The Moodies were at their artistic peak between 1968 and 1972 and this fell exactly halfway. What always gets me about them is how great their records actually SOUND. There are a lot of acts who could still learn from them in that respect;
Nielsen: Symphony no.4 (Halle/Barbirolli) - one of those symphonies that just leaves me drained, particularly after a performance like this;
Beethoven: Symphonies 1 & 2 (Concertgebouw/Mengelberg) - Mengelberg had a shall we say loose affinity with the printed score, but his “changements” never enhanced the music more than in these remarkable 1940 live recordings. His naive political leanings left a lot to be desired but he wasn’t alone there;
Beethoven: Symphony no.5 (Concertgebouw/Erich Klieber) - proving that conducting greatness was in his son’s genes; in fact, this is far superior to Carlos’ overpraised recording IMHO;
Mozart: Piano Sonata no.10, K 330 (Klara Wurtz) - how refreshing to hear this delightful piece rendered straight rather than the over-romanticised approach favoured by bigger named artists.

Have a great week everyone.

Dave x

Unsung Forum Index