1056 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 10 July 2021 CE
Jul 11, 2021, 12:07
Leonard Cohen - Songs Of Leonard Cohen
Leonard Cohen - Songs From A Room
Leonard Cohen - Songs Of Love And Hate
Leonard Cohen - Live Songs

The Zombies - Begin Here: The Complete Mono Recordings 1964 - 1967
The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle (good to have this on CD now, so that I can re-programme the track order rather than having to lift the needle to rectify something that has always bugged me. A perfect album in every way apart from the fact the 'Time Of The Season' ends the album on a rather inconclusive fade-out. Moving the optimistic 'This Will Be Our Year' to the final track ends things in a far more satisfying way).
The Zombies - R.I.P.

The Doors - The Doors
The Doors - L.A. Woman

Love - Forever Changes

The Beach Boys - Keepin' The Summer Alive
The Beach Boys - The Beach Boys
The Beach Boys - Still Cruisin'
The Beach Boys - Summer In Paradise (always had a soft spot for this much-maligned album - yes the production is sometimes awful and the lyrics tend towards the cliched, but there are a handful of very decent songs and the vocal standard is as high as ever. There is also this remarkable overhaul by the prolific YouTuber DJ L33 which vastly improves some of the tracks but slightly over eggs the pudding on others. The matching in of vocals from earlier songs is often brilliant, especially the 'Summer Of Love'/'Some Of Your Love' mash up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYc9P5au-t4 On a more perverse note, this alternate 'de-mix' isolates one of the worst elements of the original, the overbearing programmed 'drumming', and presents it on its own for 44 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0DzZesqppY&t=145s Handily there is also a still active link to all the stems so that you can do your own remix. Opening track 'Hot Fun In The Summertime' is already vastly improved by taking the treble off the drum track and bringing it down in the mix).

The Monkees - Headquarters
The Monkees - Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.

Klaus Schulze - Picture Music

Paul McCartney - Press To Play
Paul McCartney - Flowers In The Dirt

Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
Pink Floyd - The Endless River

Genesis - Live At Twickenham 08.07.07 (listened to this 14 years on from the original gig and was marvelling at how much better Phil's voice sounds here then it did in the 1980s when I saw them previously. Still undecided whether to see them on their upcoming dates (if they ever happen). Will it be a big mistake?)

Yes - Fragile
Yes - Close To The Edge
Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans (another much-maligned album. Side 3 is a bit hard to take but there is much musical brilliance and invention on the other 3 sides).

The Mamas & The Papas - Singles (another band for DJ L33 to apply his remixing skills to? Mostly great run of singles (aside from the dreary 'Monday Monday') but sometimes terribly mixed. I'd love to hear these in full stereo, rather than the two hard-panned mono tracks that passed for a stereo mix back then).

Unsung Forum Index