Any Felt fans?

9 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Mar 25, 2021, 18:18
Re: Any Felt fans?
Dec 26, 2020, 21:04
Yes - I've been a fan since hearing "Primitive Painters" when it came out. It's true that John Peel didn't play them much - if at all - but then Lawrence probably didn't help matters by sending Peel an angry letter complaining that he hadn't played "Index" and demanding that he sent it back! They did get fairly frequent exposure on both Janice Long and Andy Kershaw's shows though, and not just for that one song either.

They were lucky to have had two highly gifted instrumentalists in the band with Maurice Deebank and then Martin Duffy - both of which elevated the songs to a level of proficiency that was beyond the reach of most UK indie bands at the time. Then again, they probably both benefitted from being reined in by Lawrence's more self-taught post-punk era sensibilities as well. Of the two imstrumental albums I find "Let the Snakes..." more engaging than "Train Above the City", (an album of fairly pedestrian cod-jazz miniatures that I never cared much for, despite Martin Duffy's obvious talent).

Unsung Forum Index