Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 7 November 2020 CE
Nov 08, 2020, 15:34
flashbackcaruso wrote:
Vybik Jon wrote:
"Michigan space rock"

Intrigued. Any advance on the description?

It seemed to be a corrective to the fabulously dark and noisy brand of space rock coming from the Bristol bands such as Flying Saucer Attack around the same time. The Michigan bands were producing something much dreamier and more comforting, but just as wonderful. The main practitioners were Füxa and Windy & Carl whose epic combined effort under the name Once Dreamt is highly recommended (I reviewed it as an Unsung album on these pages). Füxa had two excellent albums on the UK Ché label - the 3 Field Rotation comp collecting those early singles/EPs and the punningly titled Very Well Organized (featuring prominent organ). Windy & Carl's ultimate space rock album is the epic debut Portal but they also ventured deep into the ocean for the double album Depths (which I also reviewed on this site).

Ta muchly.

More music to investigate.
1001realapes
1001realapes
2387 posts

Nov 08, 2020, 16:08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFuAam_nuCA
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2447 posts

Nov 08, 2020, 18:52
PJ Harvey - White Chalk

Bauhaus - Press the eject and give me the tape. Good to have bella lugosi's dead on a cd

Amorphous Androgynous - The Isness. Seemed a tad unfocussed and hippy dippy on first listen. Musicianship seemed strong though.

Jowe Head - Pincer Movement

House of Love - S/T the 2nd one

Current 93 - The Inmost Light, How I devoured Apocalypse balloon, Tantric rNying
keith a
9573 posts

Nov 09, 2020, 07:01
Windowlicker (45) – Aphex Twin

Reverend Black Grape (45) – Black Grape
In The Name Of The Father (45) – Black Grape

Best Of (1969-74) – David Bowie

Apocalypse – Bill Callahan
Gold Record – Bill Callahan

Rite Time - Can

Mirror Man – Captain Beefheart

Tender Prey - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Let Love In – Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

La Vita Nuova (EP) – Christine & the Queens

Two Seven's Clash - Culture

Contino Sessions – Death In Vegas
Satan's Circus - Death In Vegas

Semi-Legal On The Edge Of Culture – Dope

Second Light - Dreadzone

Return To The 37th Chamber – El Michels Affair

Somebody's Knocking – Mark Lanegan Band

Rocker Meets King Tubby In A Firehouse – Augustus Pablo

A Steady Drip, Drip, Drip - Sparks

Prophets Seers & Sages – Tyrannosaurus Rex
Angel Headed Hipster (The Songs Of Marc Bolan & T.Rex) – V/A

All My Feelings Denied (Blues) (45) – Wild Billy Childish Chatham Singers

Silk Skin Paws (CDS) – Wire
10:20 - Wire

Pursuit Of Momentary Happiness - Yak
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Nov 09, 2020, 22:16
The Besnard Lakes – The Last Great Thunderstorm Warning. There was a trend for ponderous, self-consciously ‘epic’ psych/soul rock at the end of the 90s/start of the 00s – basically Spiritualized turned up to 11 while slowed down to a stagger. Anyway, this lot are one of the heirs of that trend – frustratingly good for a few bars then just dull.

Garcia Peoples – Nightcap At Wits’ End. One of the albums of the year, give it a listen if you haven’t already: https://garciapeoplesbbib.bandcamp.com/album/nightcap-at-wits-end

Coil – A Guide For Beginners

Wipers – Youth Of America. There should be statues to these guys. Had this song on repeat play in my head: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V73JJf2nYc

Hawkwind – Fairfield Hall, Croyden 1977. A naughty soundboard recording that shows just what a tight band HW had become by the late 70s. It’s where this cracking version of ‘Robot’ comes from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5mcI9IPyLs

Pink Fairies – Live At Grantchester Meadows 1971. Freebie with Rich Deakin’s Keep It Together book on the PFs and the Deviants.

VA – Portobello Shuffle. Tribute to the above bands.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Nov 10, 2020, 11:43
flashbackcaruso wrote:
Vybik Jon wrote:
"Michigan space rock"

It seemed to be a corrective to the fabulously dark and noisy brand of space rock coming from the Bristol bands such as Flying Saucer Attack around the same time. The Michigan bands were producing something much dreamier and more comforting, but just as wonderful. The main practitioners were Füxa and Windy & Carl whose epic combined effort under the name Once Dreamt is highly recommended (I reviewed it as an Unsung album on these pages). Füxa had two excellent albums on the UK Ché label - the 3 Field Rotation comp collecting those early singles/EPs and the punningly titled Very Well Organized (featuring prominent organ). Windy & Carl's ultimate space rock album is the epic debut Portal but they also ventured deep into the ocean for the double album Depths (which I also reviewed on this site).

By coincidence, just came across this: https://thirdmanrecords.com/news/third-man-records-announces-southeast-of-saturn
flashbackcaruso
1056 posts

Nov 10, 2020, 14:09
Fatalist wrote:
flashbackcaruso wrote:
Vybik Jon wrote:
"Michigan space rock"

By coincidence, just came across this: https://thirdmanrecords.com/news/third-man-records-announces-southeast-of-saturn

Wow! Nice to see that scene commemorated on a compilation via a more high profile independent label. Hope those original labels such as Mind Expansion and Burnt Hair are getting a nice cut out of this. Obvious choice of Füxa track, the sublime 'Photon'.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index