Monganaut
Monganaut
2380 posts

Edited Jul 06, 2020, 16:02
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 4 July 2020 CE
Jul 06, 2020, 15:59
This weeks noises....

Boards of Canada - The Campfire Headphase
Daughter number 1 bought me a blog to book 'Hauntology' tome called 'A Year in the Country' fer fathers day (thank you sweetie), but tbh it's a bit 'Hauntology fer Dummies'. Not sure whom the book is aimed at, as if you've been interested in the subject at all, you'll already be aware of all the 'touchstones' of the genre already, this book adds nothing...it#s all a bit 6th form english project truth be told. Still, guess I can dip in when on the loo. Blog is still live should you wish to save a few quid.
https://ayearinthecountry.co.uk/

The Orb - The Blue Room CD Singles (2CD) Assassin Single (2CD)

The Orb - UFORB

Cluster - Qua

Squid - Town Centre EP
Have been mainling this lot off youtube this week. One of the most excitng new bands fer me, as their sound echoes early Talking Heads/Fall/Can with a dash of LCD soundsystem etc... these guys can really lock in...love that they use trumpets as well, kinda reminds me of the David Thomas+ Pale Boys/Pere Ubu circa '18 Monkies'.

Rig - Dig /Hum EP
One of those failed Madchester add ons from back int day who should have made more of a splash than they did....taught industrial (ish) funk ala SLAB!'s second album 'Sanity Allergy'. Dub remix sounds like early Meat Beat Manifesto too. Thnk they only had 3 singles before they went Pfft!.

Been a bit hooked on Cherry Red TV on Youtube this week. Couple of great interviews with David Thomas (Pere Ubu) and Harvey Bainbridge (Hawkwind) on their channel, plus loads of other great stuff.
This is another interesting David Thomas interview too...From 2001(ish)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T4-EtmBe7c

Sisters of Mercy - Floodland
Had the strangest urge to listen to this after not playing it since about 1988 when I went off SOM thinking they were getting to commercial (get me eh, flippin' hipster!) Anyway, guess this was that meatloaf album he always wanted to make courtesy of Steinman producing a few tracks...Still got a soft spot for Lucretia. All that Russian empire blurbs a bit precient innit? Still, enjoyed it more than I expected...my eldest is a big fan of the record, so have heard bits of it over the years. Parts of Floodland do sound pre-empted by the Sisterland album, in fact I think a 12" B-side 'Colours' was a Sisterhood track...feel free to correct me if I'm wrong

Moon Duo - Stars Are the Light

Modern Nature - How to Live

Not a lot this week, heads elsewhere....y'all keep well and all that!

Unsung Forum Index