Best of 2019

4 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Re: Best of 2019
Dec 29, 2019, 10:31
It's been a good year, musically speaking. (Just as well, because politically it's been a sodding disaster.) I've been well impressed with most of the old guard's 2019 product and am struggling to nominate an overall favourite. But, if forced, my vote for album of 2019 would be Edwyn Collins' 'Badbea', a quite remarkable pop album from a perennial talent. Van Morrison, Neil Young, Isildurs Bane, Geraint Watkins and Snarky Puppy have also delivered fine new albums this year.

I've also really enjoyed very different live albums by Peter Hammill (the inexhaustible 'Not Yet Not Now'), Marillion ('With Friends From The Orchestra') and Paul Weller. Of these, it's Weller's 'Other Aspects' which pips it for me. The 'True Meanings' songs work even better in the live context. Which reminds me, I have to give an honourable mention to Springsteen's 'Western Stars - Songs From The Film' which achieves the not inconsiderable feat of rendering a strong studio album redundant.

Best reissue of the year is Gong's 'Love From the Planet Gong' box set covering the Radio Gnome albums and 'Shamal', all of which have never sounded better than here. It's particularly great to have 'Flying Teapot' available again in its superior, original 1973 mix. The live stuff is excellent as well. Not strictly a reissue is Dylan's 'Rolling Thunder Revue' box, which I'm still exploring with pleasure.

I haven't been to any live concerts this year. Venues, bouncers and some gig-goers annoy me far too much these days!

Happy 2020, fellow vibers.

Unsung Forum Index