Topic View: Flat | Threaded
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Edited Nov 18, 2019, 20:54
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 16 November 2019 CE
Nov 18, 2019, 20:53
Can - Tago Mago / Live 1972

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Safe As Milk (mono & stereo)

Donovan - Greatest Hits (Epic comp LP)

Gong - Camembert Electrique / Picture House, Edinburgh 22/11/09

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Rainbow Bridge / Jimi Hendrix Concerts

Judy Henske & Jerry Yester - Farewell Aldebaran

Herbcraft - Astral Body Electric

The Jam - Dig The New Breed

Jan & Lorraine - Gypsy People

Jefferson Airplane (& related) - Takes Off / Surrealistic Pillow / After Bathing At Baxters / Volunteers / Dragon Fly (Grace Slick & Paul Kantner/ Jefferson Starship)

Killing Joke - Ha! (Live 10" mini LP)

Melanie - The Good Book / Garden In The Sky

Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson

Os Brazoes - S/t

Pentangle - Pentangling (Transatlantic comp LP)

Procol Harum - S/t / Shine On Brightly

Psychic TV - Dreams Less Sweet / The Full Pack (12") / Live In Reykjavik

Tom Robinson Band - TRB Two

Radio Stars - Holiday Album

Roxy Music - S/t /For Your Pleasure

Pharoah Sanders - You've Got To Have Freedom: Anthology

Wayne Shorter - The Soothsayer / The All Seeing Eye

Sonic Youth - Washing Machine

Spirogyra - St Radigunds / Old Boot Wine

Stereolab - Mars Zodiac Quartet / Tomato Ketchup Emperor

Stephen Stills - Still Stills

Subway Sect - We Oppose All Rock & Roll

Teardrop Explodes - Manchester Apollo 11/6/81 / Guildford Civic Hall 18/6/81

Trembling Bells - The Constant Pageant / The Marble Downs (with Bonnie "Prince" Billy)

Velvet Underground - Loaded / S/t (MGM Special comp LP)

Jane Weaver - The Silver Globe / The Amber Light

Paul Weller - As Is Now / Sonik Kicks / Saturn's Pattern

Frank Zappa/ Mothers Of Invention - Lumpy Money (discs 1 & 3) / S/t (Verve Special comp LP)
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Nov 18, 2019, 20:59
spencer wrote:
Seconded

Thirded! I must re-visit Big Country - much neglected and lost in the eighties when I was discovering lots of music. thanks.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Nov 18, 2019, 22:25
Katie Gately – Loom. This was quite a surprise, an electro-choral album that’s a bit like if Anna Von Hausswolff was an android… https://kgsoundie.bandcamp.com/album/loom

Ryley Walker & Charles Rumback – Little Common Twist. This on the other hand is a much more low-key if pleasant affair, folky/jazzy and mainly acoustic instrumentals: http://www.thrilljockey.com/artists/charles-rumback-ryley-walker

10,000 Russos – Kompromat

La Feline – Vie Future

VA – Beautiful Freaks

David Bowie – Space Oddity / Black Tie White Noise. Never heard BTWN before. Don’t think I intend to again.

Bohren & Der Club Of Gore – Midnight Radio

Flower Travellin’ Band – Satori

VA – (The Microcosm)
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Nov 19, 2019, 10:22
Fatalist wrote:

David Bowie – Space Oddity / Black Tie White Noise. Never heard BTWN before. Don’t think I intend to again

Not a fav of mine either - although I did like the jump they say single
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Nov 19, 2019, 10:35
The gig was on Saturday at my fav gig venue in Cornwall - The Fish Factory near Falmouth. We're not exactly choc a block with venues in this part of the country - its an hour's drive from where I live. It is a very small and intimate affair, with about a 50 or 60 capacity. It was mostly full, but I think half of that was from other bands on the bill!

It was a very noisy gig and it took about a day for my hearing to return to its normal levels. I hadn't heard much previously beyond the odd youtube video. Reminded me a little of Pontiak, although my gig going buds thought it was a bit more one dimensional without the mix of quiet and loud. Possibly. I really enjoyed it - especially the encore which they resolutely refused to end as it went on for about half an hour - same track I think? They finished by hanging their guitars from the rafters! Other opinions available was that it went on 20 mins too long. I was into it though - although it was perhaps a bit on the loud side and required ear plugs.
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Edited Nov 19, 2019, 13:01
Nov 19, 2019, 12:44
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:

It was a very noisy gig and it took about a day for my hearing to return to its normal levels...

Man, I hear you (no pun intended). A few years ago I went to see Nik Turner at a tiny venue in Brooklyn - St. Vitus - and the sound was so fucking loud I couldn't hardly hear for days and was actually slurring my speech like a stroke victim. I'm not joking. My wife and I freaked out. I went to the doctor the next day to see what happened, but I don't seem to remember a word he said, likely 'cause I couldn't bloody hear him! Ever since I've been using ear plugs at gigs - much to the chagrin of my younger self, I'm sure. But most importantly, the band sounded like shit at that volume - just excruciating white noise with Nik's sax as an instrument of torture. To paraphrase Iggy, No Fun!

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the gig regardless! Sounds like a great place to see 'em. I hope I'll be so lucky someday...and when I do I'll be sure to stuff my ears.
Zariadris
Zariadris
286 posts

Edited Nov 19, 2019, 17:17
Nov 19, 2019, 15:00
garerama wrote:
spencer wrote:
Seconded

Thirded! I must re-visit Big Country - much neglected and lost in the eighties when I was discovering lots of music. thanks.

Cool! If by chance you like it, you might want to check out the follow-up, The Seer. While not a statement like Steeltown, it's a strong album, with a brighter, sparer sound and vision and some standout cuts in the title track and the excellent single, The Teacher, with its badass Hank Marvin vibe. Unfortunately I can’t recommend anything of theirs that I’ve heard beyond that. They somehow lost their Glaswegian mojo to the point that Stuart Adamson took the band’s name a bit too literally and moved to Nashville. Ultimately, he ended his own life in a hotel room in Hawaii after falling off the wagon (he’d been sober for a decade).

I was a huge fan as a kid and loved them dearly; that heavy guitar sound and electro-celtic sturm und drang was a respite from the more effete U2 and the perfect gateway for this young headbanger from metal to other realms of popular music (laugh if you will, but Big Country’s b-side cover version of Tracks of My Tears turned me on to Soul!) When I finally saw them live at the onset of their popular decline they were still fantastic, and when I nervously approached Adamson after the sparsely attended gig he was so gracious and down to earth. His death was a shocking loss to all those hardcore fans one still bumps into over the years. I’m sure he had a comeback in him. As it turns out, a few classic albums (and some great b-sides) were all it took to ensure his immortality.
garerama
garerama
1118 posts

Nov 19, 2019, 22:14
jb lamptoast-morsley wrote:
Fatalist wrote:

David Bowie – Space Oddity / Black Tie White Noise. Never heard BTWN before. Don’t think I intend to again

Not a fav of mine either - although I did like the jump they say single

Likewise, not a fave of mine, but compared to the three albums before ... a breath of fresh air. It all went uphill after BTWN - with the overlooked Buddha from Suburbia then Outside ....
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Nov 21, 2019, 19:09
Wot Monganaut said. Apart from the Gary Numan bit!

Might have to check out Steeltown, even though my memories of Big Country's music aren't terribly good, I must admit!
Anchor
31 posts

Edited Nov 22, 2019, 12:37
Nov 22, 2019, 12:29
Thank you for this recomendation for mugstar and the time spent writing it.

Tahk you for also reminding me of Big Country - I feel less embarrassed about my affection for Big Country as well now!

I was listening to Peace in Our Time the other day and 13 Valleys is a fucking ace tune. Nothing terribly complicated, nice lyrics but a great hook and melody to hang it all on.

Cheers.
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index