15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 28 September 2019 CE
Sep 30, 2019, 00:43
Moon Duo - Stars Are the Light
Really enjoying this. Moon Duo sound has slowly been moving away from Wooden Shjips MK 2 over the last few records so much so that this one has more in common with Peaking Lights 936 than much of their previous output. Pete Kember at the controls adds a poppy deftness to their sound that they were previously lacking (well I think so). Apparently more indebted to disco than psych from what i've read. Good Stuff.
https://moonduo.bandcamp.com/album/stars-are-the-light-2

Vive La Void - S/T
Solo outing of Moon Duo's Sanae Yamada. Good stuff inna synthpopkraut kinda way.
https://vivelavoid.bandcamp.com/album/vive-la-void

Vanishing Twin - The Age of Immunology
Really wanted to like this after Fatalists description, which sounded bang up me street. Coupla outstanding tracks, but the album as a whole sadly doesn't float my boat for it's entirity. Would have made a great EP. Nice visuals though.

Mudhoney - Morning In America EP
Great little round up of tracks that didn't make last years 'Digital Garbage' LP.

Godflesh - Us and Them
Not one of my fav Godflesh albums. Prob' show Broadricks' love of hip hop more on this than other albums. Still, some top riffage and heavy beats keep it interesting.

The Jam - Sound Effects
Great little docu' about them on Sky Arts t'other night made me dig this out again. For me, the best of their albums from a point of view of being more varied in sound and tone. That's Entertainment is still one of my fav' Jam tracks.

Ramones - It's Alive 40th Anniversay Edition
4 Discs of live from dates of the original tour which ade up the original album. Good stuff. I saw them almost 10 years to the day in Brum in the same (renamed) venue. Was a blast them too!

Scientists - A Place Called bad (4CD)
First saw the Scientists in 84' or 85' supporting the Sisters of Mercy and instantly fell in love with them. Would have been at the time they had the 'This Heart Don't Run On Blood...' EP out. Now pretty much have everything they released (working for a few years in record mail order helped there :) Still a stunning body of work. Kim Salmon is still strutting his stuff .

Stereolab - Cobra and Phases... delux
Still my fav 'Lab' LP.

Saw a great movie last night on one of the larger streaming services, nothing to do with music, but thoughtfully put together, and with a great soundtrack by Johnny Greenwood (Radiohead). Called 'You Were Never Really Here'. Bout' a hitman who ends up inadvertantly busting a child prostitution ring. Sounds grim (and it is), but it's not you're typical hollywood gung ho 'hero'. Joaquin Phoenix plays an understated blinder of a part. Well directed by Lynne Ramsay (Morvern Caller etc...). I'd been umming and ahhing over whether to watch it fer weeks, glad I did, well worth a peep.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/may/26/you-were-never-really-here-review-joaquin-phoenix-lynne-ramsay-cannes-2017

Have a Groovy one !

Unsung Forum Index