Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 June 2019 CE

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 15 June 2019 CE
Jun 18, 2019, 21:26
tk421 wrote:

I saw Ian McNabb on twitter saying one of the singles sounds like the Icicle Works ...

I'm not a big Brucie fan and I've not heard the album but he's right about that. That's who I thought it was!

I liked the first single. Thought it a bit unremarkable at first but it really grew on me. Sounded like something Glen Campbell would cover. I'd love to have heard that!
keith a
9574 posts

Jun 18, 2019, 21:28
Humanworld – Peter Perrett
I've been a fan of Peter Perrett / The Only Ones since I bought their classic debut LP when I was seventeen. It's fair to say that (for well documented reasons) further releases have been thin on the ground, so it was great, if unexpected, news when Peter finally released something (How The West Was Won) a couple of years ago after a very long silence. And now, a mere two years later, he is back again with Humanworld. I liked How The West Was Won, but this is in an altogether different ballpark. On the strength of a couple of plays I have to say it exceeds all reasonable expectations and that it's up there with his best work. If you liked The Only Ones I'd say that this pretty damn essential!

Also...
Are You A Dreamer? - Death & Vanilla

Flashback – Fujiya & Myagi

Can I Colour In Your Hair (7”) - Lark

I Remember Yesterday – Donna Summer

The Road: Part II / Lost Highway - UNKLE

The Paralian – Andrew Wasylyk
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jun 19, 2019, 13:52
keith a wrote:
Humanworld – Peter Perrett

Interesting. Will check it out. looking forward to seeing him front Buzzcocks on Friday
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2615 posts

Jun 19, 2019, 16:29
I like 'Western Stars' very much. Not sure about the Icicle Works resemblance, but it's very much the sound of a mellowed out Bruce, albeit with a new smoothness to his voice which bears out the Glen Campbell comparisons that various reviewers have made. It reminds me a lot of his underrated 'Devils and Dust', though it's less dark and much wider in orchestration. Not unlike Neil Young's 'Storytone' either. I recommend it.
tk421
121 posts

Jun 19, 2019, 21:25
Thanks for the replies

I appreciate it. I know I could just listen to it on youtube, or something like that, but I like to hear what people think before getting it. It's more reassuring. So, you guys and Ian McNabb have convinced me!!

As I said, I'm a fan of Bruce's anyway but I especially like his darker side: Nebraska, the ghost of Tom Joad and devils and dust. And of course, Darkness of the Edge of Town.
keith a
9574 posts

Jun 20, 2019, 07:02
This is the one that sounds like Icicle Works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbDKBcPsmoQ
tk421
121 posts

Jun 21, 2019, 21:49
Ha! You’re not wrong! It’s very good too!

Thanks again.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index