keith a
9573 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 13 April 2019 CE
Apr 14, 2019, 22:30
Country Club 12” - Associates
Rockaway Beach 7” - Motorhead
Dream Baby Dream 12” – Suicide
Extravaganza EP – Jah Wobble & the Electro Dub
Some RSD releases. Unlike the others, the Wobble ep is new AFAIK...and on one listen I have to say it's excellent! And Motorhead doing Rockaway Beach is a blast!!

White Session (D/L) - Devendra Banhart
Great to hear this old radio session again. I loved this period of his career.

Gallipoli – Beirut
It's fair to say that I didn't always like my daughters musical choices when she lived at home, but then I don't think she was terribly keen on a lot of mine either! But I did quite like one... Beirut, who with their twisted trumpet and accordion sounds had me calling them 'drunken music'. Anyway, I ended up going to see them last week with her and really enjoyed them. Good singer, great brass sounds (best use of the trombone in pop since Dexys?) and yes, there were times when I thought it was 'drunken music'!!

Dub Will Tear Us Apart - Jah Division
It does what it says on the tin. Now reissued thankfully.

Dreads Enter The Gates With Praise – Bunny Lee
Fab compilation.

Stunning Luxury – Snapped Ankles
You know...the ones who dress like trees. Musically...I guess they are somewhere between Devo and The Fall. Ish. Really enjoyable all the same.

Top Of The Poppers Sing & Play The Hits Of David Bowie
I've got the Top Of The Poppers Play T.Rex so when I heard that a Bowie equivalent had come out I just had to get it, even though those lovely people at Norman records said it was the worst record they had ever stocked! So what you get is a collection of nine Bowie songs - Life On Mars, Starman, Space Oddity, etc all the way up to Fashion (who knew they still made those copycat albums in 1980?!) with a slight detour via a Bolan sounding 'Lulu' on The Man Who Sold The World - from those 'not by the original artist' Top Of The Pops LP's. On a very seventies looking purple vinyl to boot! (Platform boots obviously) Now I know lots of folk will think it's rubbish but l'm a sucker for this kind of thing.

The Paralian – Andrew Wasylyk
Recent release I stumbled upon via Norman Records recommendations. Mournful and rather lovely at times.

Also...
Marcus Garvey / Garvey's Ghost - Burning Spear
Hail H.I.M. - Burning Spear

The Future – Leonard Cohen
Ten New Songs – Leonard Cohen

Brigg Fair (D/L 45) - The Ilk

Hollow Earth – Pye Audio Corner

Aftermath – Rolling Stones

Flamende Herzen - Michael Rother
The Robbers/Houston - Michael Rother

Reborn -Sweet Nico

Motor City Soul (Mojo cd) – V/A