12 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
flashbackcaruso
1054 posts

Edited Mar 27, 2019, 12:55
Re: FIRE ESCAPE IN THE SKY: THE GOD-LIKE GENIUS OF SCOTT WALKER
Mar 27, 2019, 12:54
thesussexidler wrote:
Try the Boy Child 67-70 compilation or just go straight to Scott 4. Absolutely fantastic.

Boy Child 67-70 was my entry point, and what an instant revelation it was. Just hearing the startling opening track 'The Plague' had me thinking if this is just a b-side, then how good must the rest of the tracks be? They didn't disappoint. I found the actual albums a little harder to get into at first because of the handful of unapologetically MOR cover versions that occasionally drag down Scott & Scott 2, and used to skip them to get to the originals and the Brel stuff, but some of them have grown on me, and Scott 2 is a real favourite thanks to 'The Amorous Humphrey Plugg', 'The Girls From The Streets', 'Plastic Palace People' and 'The Bridge'. The Five Easy Pieces box set is cleverly sequenced and mixes in classics and rarities from all stages of his career, but there was a pressing fault on many first run copies which meant a couple of the discs were missing a stereo channel and I had to return my copy to the shop. Only recently repurchased this at a bargain price from a charity shop in Chiswick, Scott's neck of the woods. I was wondering what I'd do if I happened to then cross paths with the great man - would I have the nerve to show him what I'd just bought and ask him to sign it. Sadly there will be no more sightings. I only saw him the once (aside from when he was sitting in full view at the mixing desk behind the audience at the Barbican for Drifting & Tilting). It was a couple of years ago, and he was pushing his bike along the pavement of Chiswick High Road, customary long-peaked cap preventing eye contact, on a drizzly Thursday afternoon. Yes, he was Walking In The Rain.

Unsung Forum Index