Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 29 September 2018 CE

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives week ending 29 September 2018 CE
Sep 30, 2018, 21:21
Re: The Beasts, They ain't that crucial tbh, I just like em' cos' they got half of one of my fav' Aussie bands The Scientists in em'. Though, if you like swamp rock/ swamp blues ala Creedence Clearwater Revival, and I guess there's a hint of Nick Cave/ Bad Seeds about em', then yeah, go ahead. My recommendations would be Axeman's Jazz and Sour Mash.

Did I turn you onto the Buttholes? don't recall tbh, glad you dig em' though, there was no-one quite like em' at the time. They never got better or zania than Locust. 'Hairway to Steven' was the last album I bought by them before they went 'stadium', well that and the live one that's free on their site on the web somewhere now, 'Double Live' I think it was called...
http://www.buttholesurfers.com/DoubleLiveMP3.html
Other stuff up for DL too if yer feeling brave....
http://www.buttholesurfers.com/buttlegs.html
keith a
9574 posts

Sep 30, 2018, 22:03
The Original Sound Of Sheffield '78-82: Best Of... – Cabaret Voltaire
Staggeringly good compilation of the early stuff. Split Second Feeling really did it for me this week.

If Only – Delphini
Sounding very good on early listening.

S/T – T.Rex
The Slider – T.Rex
Tanx – T.Rex
Bolan's Zip Gun – T.Rex
Dandy In The Underworld – T.Rex
Marc Bolan would have been 71 today x

Also...

Mish Maoul - Natacha Atlas

Station To Station – David Bowie

Remedies – Dr John

Ventriloquizzing - Fujiya & Miyagi

Compilations 1995-2002 - Hood

Singularity – Jon Hopkins

Marauder – Interpol

Compulsion Songs - Lucid Dream

S/T – Mungo Jerry

Bad Witch - NIN

Teatime Dub Encounters – Iggy Pop / Underworld

Mass Education – St Vincent

Northern Lights 7” – Soft Cell
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Edited Sep 30, 2018, 22:46
Sep 30, 2018, 22:46
Sherpa – Tigris & Euphrates. Very nice cosmic psych from Italian crew – fans of Floyd, early Verve etc will like: https://sherpaita.bandcamp.com/album/tigris-euphrates

Mythic Sunship – Another Shape Of Psychedelic Music. More jazz rock crazed Danes. Actually rather fantastic, though requires stamina: https://soundcloud.com/elparaiso/mythicelevation

Hen Ogledd – Mogic. Group featuring that Richard Dawson bloke. A lot of avant/artschool prankery herein, but frankly they can do what they like having produced a single as awesome as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O9BXeFm_yg

J.H. Guraj – Steadfast On Our Sound. Italian plucker produces pleasant guitar-based sounds for short film.

Jacco Gardner – Somnium

The Nightingales – Perish The Thought

BEAK> – >>>

CAVE – Allways

Dead Otter – Bridge Of Weird

John Faulkner & Sandra Kerr – The Music From Bagpuss. Literally every note of music ever featured in or near stuffed cat childhood favourite. The very sound of alternative nostalgia.

Jethro Tull – This Was. Has received the Steven Wilson mix treatment – sounded pretty good to me.

Curved Air – Phantasmagoria

VA – Running The Voodoo Down Vol 2

Conny Plank – The Potential Of Noise (DVD). Think this has already been discussed elsewhere in HH. Tis very good, though you do have to sit through an interview with Dave Stewart.
jb lamptoast-morsley
jb lamptoast-morsley
2448 posts

Sep 30, 2018, 23:21
inside knowledge is a wonderous thing. I'll have me some of that, ta :)
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Oct 01, 2018, 02:14
Oct 01, 2018, 02:12
Fatalist wrote:
Conny Plank – The Potential Of Noise (DVD). Think this has already been discussed elsewhere in HH. Tis very good, though you do have to sit through an interview with Dave Stewart.

Was Dave pissed? every interview I've seen with him yamming about something recently, he's been three sheets to the wind. Kinda hoping my local arthouse will put the Conny film on during their yearly 'Flatpack festy' of everything hard to come by, film/cinema wise.
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Oct 01, 2018, 12:37
Monganaut wrote:
Fatalist wrote:

Was Dave pissed? every interview I've seen with him yamming about something recently, he's been three sheets to the wind. Kinda hoping my local arthouse will put the Conny film on during their yearly 'Flatpack festy' of everything hard to come by, film/cinema wise.

Yes ;-)

It's well worth seeking out. Maybe BBC4 will buy it...
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Oct 01, 2018, 13:14
flashbackcaruso wrote:

The Goodies - The Cricklewood Tapes (part of the absolute treat that is the Binge Of Goodies box set from Network. This triple CD shows how good some of Bill Oddie's background is when in the foreground)

Bill Oddie does blue-eyed soul, 1966.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PlLVqrGlRg
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Oct 02, 2018, 09:03
Monganaut wrote:
Been up hill and down dale this week, trying to get my lung capacity back after nasty asthma crap. Seems to be working!. Hefty hike across the Long Myndd and back up through Nut Batch, a wonderful fairy dell of a valley, that gets to be a slog towards the end....worth it though, as it's not visited very much judging by the narrow sheep track. Truley unspoiled.

I've not ventured over to that part of the Long Mynd. I must go and explore that bit.
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Edited Oct 03, 2018, 18:07
Oct 03, 2018, 18:04
If you start up by the glider club, take the path that meanders along the edge behind the clubhouse and on for a mile or so. It's faily level, only minor ups and downs, and is easy to follow. Towards the middle/end of then plateau with stunning views to your right come to a stop near some pine woods on your left and a field gate in front with a kissing gate directly to your left. Go through the kissing gate and take the path through the woods and keep going till you hit a locked stile and horse jumping stile in the fence to your right over looking the top of Nut Batch. Climb/Jump over stile and it's downhill all the way. The path is only sporadically marked, so take a map to be sure. Prob easier going down than up too. Plus, at the bottom, you can take a left hand path along to Minton if I recall correctly. Have a go, it really is beautiful, with a ting babbling brook for company all the way up/down depending on your choice of ascent/decent. It really is the path less followed, you certainly don't see the Cardingmill crowds anywhere near. If you manage to get there, have fun. Other than the brook, it's sooooo quiet.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index