The Return Of The Thin White Duke!

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Visconti speaks
Jan 09, 2013, 10:09
There's a definite whiff of wheeling him out in a bathchair to the first paragraph there
keith a
9572 posts

Jan 09, 2013, 10:13
Glam Descendant wrote:

"I think it's a very reflective track for David. He certainly is looking back on his Berlin period and it evokes this feeling… it's very melancholy, I think. It's the only track on the album that goes this much inward for him. It's quite a rock album, the rest of the songs, so I thought to myself why is David coming out with this very slow, albeit beautiful, ballad why is he doing this? He should come out with a bang. But he is a master of his own life. I think this was a very smart move, linking the past with the future, and I think the next thing you hear from him is going to be quite different.

Thanks for this. Interesting piece, especially the above - that it's a 'rock' album but Bowie has chosen to come back with a more reflective moment than with a bang. Very Bowie - and I'm rather pleased about that!

I've got to say all this has cheered me up no end. I was more of a Bolan fan than a Bowie fan, but the news that this iconic figure is finally releasing an album after all this time really made my day. And whilst I'm not wild about the album cover, the news (and the track) certainly make up for it. TBH I would have thought that you'd have to have a heart of stone to be of a certain age and not feel goodwill towards him now he's returned, but maybe that's just me...
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Jan 09, 2013, 10:13
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
There's a definite whiff of wheeling him out in a bathchair to the first paragraph there

There is! I was thinking Brian Wilson.
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Re: The Return Of The Thin White Duke!
Jan 09, 2013, 10:24
Hunter T Wolfe wrote:
I like the song, hate the album cover. I wonder whether it'll actually be released on a physical format? Maybe Dave's of the opinion that it's all downloads now, so the sleeve art doesn't really matter...

I don't think the final album design has been revealed yet. What's the betting?

Interesting to see Tony Visconti being wheeled out. There seems to be too many very's in his estimation of the artists health. Paul Trynka on Newsnight BBC 2 last night seems to be similarly reading between the lines. Which ever is the truth Bowie has pulled off something remarkable again enigma that he is.
keith a
9572 posts

Re: The Return Of The Thin White Duke!
Jan 09, 2013, 10:33
"The Next Day will be available on Double Vinyl LP, Deluxe & Standard CD."
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Jan 09, 2013, 10:46
Tony Visconti wrote:
"I've been listening to this on headphones walking through the streets of New York for the past two years, and I have not tired of a single song."

So, these tracks are two years old?
Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Jan 09, 2013, 11:10
Kid Calamity wrote:
Tony Visconti wrote:
"I've been listening to this on headphones walking through the streets of New York for the past two years, and I have not tired of a single song."

Who know's? The commentator on Newsnight thought not. Perhaps the man at the V&A, also on Newsnight has access to his diary.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 09, 2013, 11:11
Kid Calamity wrote:
Tony Visconti wrote:

Nothing really unusual in that in terms of Big Artist recording times these days, especially as it could be a mix of stuff done in the last few years and/or in the last few weeks really.

I must say, I agree with others on here in admiring the way the release of the new material has been handled, especially in this era of Spoilers telegraphed months before the event. Surprise seems to be devalued commodity these days. It was like the BBC News 24 interview with Jimmy Page recently. The journo, just doing her job I know, ended with questions about new things he was working on to which he responded in a polite but guarded manner. She kinda pressed on and you could see JP was not being evasive as such but more being "wait and see". It's like there's a impatient taste for being spoon-fed every last detail of a 'thing', be it album, film, book and so on, before its released. And in, this era of multi-platform media where you have the same info being imparted across every available format, it's like there's no mystique about anything anymore. Everyone wants to know NOW and there's no shortage of people willing to shout it at you.
Kid Calamity
9044 posts

Jan 09, 2013, 11:21
Yes!

There's a thrill here that I haven't experienced for a very long time. I hope a few more artistes are gonna dispense with their marketing dept's advice for paving the way for new product with spoilers and leaks.

I want music to be an exciting media again.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 09, 2013, 11:34
keith a wrote:
TBH I would have thought that you'd have to have a heart of stone to be of a certain age and not feel goodwill towards him now he's returned, but maybe that's just me...

Heh (Not so subtle..) Subtext being "Anyone not in a state of ecstasy regarding this new stuff is an utter bastard".

Yes, its just you. Anyone else perhaps a little underwhelmed by the song and maybe non-plussed/disappointed with the artwork, are simply manifesting their inherent, malignant evilness and fiendishness, ill will towards David Bowie, and in fact turned to the Dark Side aeons ago. And they probably eat puppies too ;^)
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index