Unsung Forum »
"Destination Titan" What's This Music?

26 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 16, 2012, 10:48
Re: "Destination Titan" What's This Music?
Jun 15, 2012, 19:16
aether wrote:
Do you play upright at all Ian? I've took to the upright of late and in the jazz-fusion sphere, there's a guy called Jamil Sulieman who just has an unbelievable fluidity to his playing and a very beefy tone. Check his playing on an LP called "OutertimeInnerspace" by Ahmad Jamal (Impulse, 1971/2)

regards, Aether

Yes I have the G/Slade live album. The bass on Melange is up there with Chris Squire's "Fish" on Yessongs and I do like a bit of Ahmad Jamal. I know a bit about those other players but I find 70s prog and fusion bassists a bit intimidating. I am not a good enough musician to play jazz. Or prog for that matter. I can do a sort of dubby, Holger meets King Tubby thing with some Charlie Hadenish moments and that's about me lot.

I have an upright but I am shit on it. I just don't have the hand span but it's fun to play when no one is listening. I have a Rickenbacker fretless with tapewound strings and that is almost the sound I would want off of an upright but what I like about my Fender Jazz is that I can play exactly what I would play on a fretted bass but with the option of adding slides and such and it gives the low end an extra dimension of lo-end width and oof-nicity. Most people don't realise I am even playing a fretless cos of the idiot lines.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index