Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 19/03/11

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 19/03/11
Mar 23, 2011, 15:09
I tried Anathema years ago and didn't really dig it bit will give them, and the other 2 along with Pagan Altar a go.

Thanks much!
machineryelf
3681 posts

Mar 23, 2011, 16:39
Icon,Draconian Times & One Second are the best to try for Paradise Lost if you don't like growling, the earlier stuff is spot on but gutteral and after One Second they decided to be a heavy Depeche Mode, I know what you mean about Anathema, they are a bit meh sometimes but I rate Eternity & Alternative 4 , not really doom just good solid heavy rock
You appreciation of MDB will probably be tempered by how much goth nonsense you can put up with, they do tend to over emote and have more wailing bints and sad violins than is healthy but they do have some cracking riffs, Dreadful Hours, Lighthouse or Turn Loose The Swans would be my suggestions,but I don't think they have ever produced a real stinker

I would add Cathedral to that list as well, Carnival Bizarre & Endtyme are superb, but every CD is spot IMHO
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Mar 24, 2011, 02:10
Actually, the first Cathedral, Forest of Equilibrium, is a good example of doom with somewhat guttural vocals that's actually good.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Mar 24, 2011, 02:10
Thanks Machineryelf, MDB sounds most interesting and I do have a Cathedral album - The Guessing Game - which I quite like. Of course there was an American Cathedral too and their '78 album Stained Glass Stories is an absolute classic of American prog. Admittedly there aren't many competitors for classic status in American prog but SGS would stand strong against prog from anywhere and to me sounds almost Scandinavian. Anyway, thanks for your advice.. I'll take it into account and may well try MDB.
Chaosmonger
977 posts

Mar 25, 2011, 23:11
That first Cathedral is much different, a lot more doom n' gloom than their later uptempo groovin' stuff. I think it's their best, personally.
redfish365
redfish365
710 posts

Mar 26, 2011, 03:30
Chaosmonger wrote:
That first Cathedral is much different, a lot more doom n' gloom than their later uptempo groovin' stuff. I think it's their best, personally.

I've head that and am very curious to check out early Cathedral. I got their latest based not only on positive reviews but also because of song titles. Seems these guys like many of the same horror movies I do.
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index