42 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2615 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 6 June 2010 CE
Jun 06, 2010, 10:14
This weeks raves:

The Who 'Quadrophenia' - an absolute masterpiece from first note (or should I say "wave") to last. The quality of Townshend's songwriting across all four sides is little short of miraculous, and the 'Oo do him proud throughout. This was their last great album, and it hasn't dated a jot in four decades;

Talking Heads '77' - I still get a rush from this awesomely addictive debut; in fact, nothing else in the Heads subsequent catalogue ever got to me as much as this. There's a superb 180g vinyl edition now in the shops that trounces the tinny CD edition;

XTC 'White Music' and 'Go 2' - similar in feel to '77' but very, very English, XTC's first two albums have a spikey sense of fun and verve that was, album by album, gradually lost after Barry Andrews got the elbow and Partridge started to get a bit too clever. I'm not dissing their output from 'Drums & Wires' onwards, much of which I really enjoy, but in truth I admire it more than I love it. The first two LPs, however, still induce St Vitus into my feet and make me grin from ear to ear;

Anthrax 'State Of Euphoria' - the third and last Anthrax LP I ever bought was dragged out of the vaults for the first time in a good twenty years this week and given a good gyroing. I'm much more impressed with it now than when I bought it. Whilst still in the inevitable shadow of 'Spreading The Disease', it rocks like a bitch;

Caravan 'For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night' - Caravan's most overtly prog rock-orientated LP (and I'd argue that they did surprisingly little in that vein, their most famous work being post-psychedelic pop of the highest order) features some amazing riffery ('Memory Lane Hugh', 'Be All Right', 'A Hunting We Shall Go') and Pye Hastings' songwriting at its quality apex: despite its well-dodgy subject matter, 'The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again' is a perfectly crafted song with three wonderful, distinctive vocal melodies that are masterfully brought together in the extended coda, and 'Surprise Surprise' is that rare thing, a genuinely romantic song existing within a prog framework, with a chorus to move mountains. And this time I've no complaints about the current CD edition, which sounds vastly superior to the thin, tinny vinyl original, and features some fine bonus tracks;

Miles Davis 'Miles In Berlin' and 'Miles In Europe' - I'm still thoroughly enjoying mining through unheard gems in my 'Complete Columbia' box set, such as these fine concert performances from the early 60's. With all his boundary breaking achievements, it's easy to forget how effective Miles was in a straight jazz setting, as here. And what a quintet of stellar young talent he put together to see him through the decade, every one now an icon in his own right.

Classically, enjoyed some venerable old Music For Pleasure 12/6d gems in Malcolm Sargent's still grand Sibelius 1 & 2 and Vaughan Williams Serenade To Music, William Steinberg's life-changing (for me) Beethoven 5 (the first of over 100 recordings I sadly, and obsessively, admit to owning), and Stokowski's typically individual take on 'The Planets'. Plus Bruno Walter's mono Beethoven symphony cycle with the NYPO and Philadelphia orchestras - lovely, lyrical performances from one of the true podium masters.

Life is good in the greenhouse...

Have a great week, everyone

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index