Register
Unsung Forum »
"Riot on Sunset Strip" incidental music

19 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Seth Man
1243 posts

Edited Mar 26, 2009, 18:21
"It's just like a cartoon from A.I.P." (!)
Mar 26, 2009, 18:16
ToneStone,

Nice one!

Yes, I've seen dozens of these A.I.P./associated company films and by and large, they are garbage, totally insane and highly entertaining.

"Psych Out" is a classic and that faux Hendrix wig-out ("Ashbury Wednesday" by Boenzee Creeque) is a gasser. It's great how the music stops a second or two before Mumblin' Jim does. (And yeah: "that" ponytail. Hahahahahahahah)

Have you seen "The Angry Breed"? it's from 1969 and stars Danno from "Hawaii-Five O" as the head of a Schultzstaffel biker gang. Some unknown Gram Parsons lookalike winds up kicking his ass during the fight scene at the end. (His best line? "You need killing.")

"Wild In The Streets" is excellent, too. I suppose you've seen that one already. I believe it was A.I.P.'s second highest budget exploitation film outside of "The Wild Angels." (The performance in the film of "Shape Of Things To Come" by Christopher Jones is totally informed by Jim Morrison and Scott Walker circa first album.)

Oh, have you seen "The Losers" with William Smith? It's HILARIOUS. Biker gang is sent behind enemy lines in Vietnam ('enemy lines'? In Vietnam?!!!) to rescue a CIA agent. Just the obvious transposition of "The Dirty Dozen" onto the Vietnam War makes for mind-boggling viewing.

But "Mondo Hollywood" is at the absolute TOP of the garbage heap. I bet John Waters saw it when it came out and used it as a model for his first coupla films. If you've never seen it, order and and be prepared for an hour and a half of the rich cultural underbelly of Los Angeles, 1966-67 vintage: Gypsy Boots, Mike Curb, Bobby Jameson, Vito and Carl Franzoni, Jay Sebring, a monkey called Mr President, the great God Pan, The Mothers...etc, etc. At turns highly entertaining, disgusting, laughable, serious it really is beyond description.

Unsung Forum Index