Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
the dodgy track that ruins an otherwise perfect album.

85 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: the dodgy track that ruins an otherwise perfect album.
Jan 18, 2009, 13:41
One that immediately springs to mind - and which will no doubt be disagreed with by many - is the godawful 'Rainy Day Women' that opens 'Blonde On Blonde'. I've always really hated it, yet the rest of that album is utterly sublime - my fave Dylan album after 'Blood On The Tracks' (which, incidentally, has no clunkers at all).

'Revolver' really doesn't need 'Yellow Submarine', and 'Pepper' would be a damn sight better IMHO without 'When I'm Sixty Four'. In fact, McCartney's embarrassing sub-vaudeville moments spoil many a fine Beatles record for me.

'Sloop John B' is kack and gets skipped every time I play the otherwise wonderful 'Pet Sounds'. Trickier to avoid are the unlistenable scary bit that immediately precedes the 'Chet-vah-buddha' bit of 'Faust Tapes', or the annoying-beyond-belief final couple of minutes of 'Flying Teapot's' title track, both serious blemishes on what remain classic records. And 'Aumgn' almost ruins 'Tago Mago' for me.

And I reckon Free's 'Fire & Water' would be vastly improved without bloody 'All Right Now', which I really could do with never hearing again. The deluxe edition that came out last year has it on EIGHT times...aaarrrgghhhhh!!!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index