Unsung Forum »
May Druidon

86 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
alan lake soon
349 posts

Re: where's yer ideals
May 03, 2005, 23:44
i don't think the Tories CAN win. But I do think NuLab want us to THINK the Tories can win, so we'll keep on voting NuLab. And I think the Guardian is doing NuLab's bidding by headlining how close it is.

I'm Really not sure how much worse the Tories would be: economically Lab are Thatcherite (or benefitting from Thatcher's policies), they are privatising the public sector (NHS, education) in ways the Tories didn't dare, assualting civil liberties (asbos, taking away right to trial by jury, anti-terror legislation), locking loads of people up, playing tough on immigration, going to war (nearly forgot)...

I do wonder if our dread of the Tories (and yes Howard is a monster) isn't letting NuLab go on just like they want. I know it's easy for me to say (straight, white male, job), but what I want is some return to left-wing principle...and we won't get it if this lot think they've got a mandate to carry on being Thatcher in disguise. Which is sort of making a case for there needing to be some kind of rupture...which might mean a Tory success if that'll mean in turn a leftwing Labour Party again. It's this nasty rightwing Lab-Con consensus that needs smashing.

so...Green it is..or something
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index