Soundtracks Of Our Lives 15/02/04

82 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: FF
Feb 16, 2004, 09:41
I've played this to death over the past week. I was one of the people getting all sniffy about the pre-release hype, but I take it back. It's a great pop record. It has got sonic similarities to the Teardrops, but it's via Blur. The Blur-isms are massive, but that's not a problem for me (when the melodica came in on the last track I laughed out loud). There's not a dud track on it, no filler. And you can whistle the tunes (well, I could if I could whistle, but you know what I mean). I'm not sure I agree with Monganaut about the lyrics though. They're not that great and are so heavily about student life it's bound to piss off anyone who hates students! And the so-called 'gay' song on it isn't gay. It's a straight bloke teasing his gay mate: the key line being 'You're the only one I'd ever want' (the unsaid implication being: 'If I really forced myself to go to bed with a guy for the sake of being able to say I've done it you're the only one I could stomach doing it with', which isn't actually that flattering or very gay really if you think about it.)
Anyway, I'd say they're a good Britpop band a few years too late with great tunes. So, not exactly innovative, but better than a lot of the uninspired stuff that gets lauded. And it's been a while since I've bought a record I wanted to play so much to death in the first week of owning it.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index