POLL IS NOW CLOSED - first results!

59 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Re: Cale/Horses/Stooges
Jan 08, 2004, 16:51
Not only did Cale produce "Horses", he played some bass on it (so says allmusic.com.) I tried to only give credit for a record if the person had actual musical input, i.e. played instruments or cowrote songs.

Similarly I gave Cale credit for the first Stooges record not just because he produced it, but because he played viola & piano on it.

As for the Nico records he produced, he plays all sorts of instruments on those.

A questionable approach, I know, but I tried to be consistent with it. What it really reflects is how many albums that got votes that these guys were on.

I also tried making another "group members and side musicians" list, but got too tangled up in that one (top 3 before I gave up were Klaus Dinger, Michael Rother, and Rick Wakeman -- Phil Manzanera and Thighpaulsandra were also high up the list.)

The problem there was it seemed like too much stretching, and I wasn't sure I would be able to do it consistently (like did you know Rick Wakeman played on T. Rex "Electric Warrior"?!? But I find it hard to justify giving him credit for that album, which doesn't reflect his input really. He probably showed up for an afternoon, played what the producer told him to, collected a check.) So . . . I gave up on that one!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index