The French banning the niqab/burka

58 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1704 posts

Re: The French banning the niqab/burka
Apr 17, 2011, 01:08
I can't speak to the political climate of France of the UK, but I support their decision to ban the oppressive costume.

Germany has banned the swastika, and any person or group around the world who adorns one are labelled (rightfully so) as Neo-Nazis. No one questions that it is now a symbol of hate in the context of fascism.

The word nigger isn't legally banned, but I doubt anyone on this forum would use it in public conversation. And people support the censorship of the written word in most cases (even Mark Twain isn't immune).

So why would the burka ban be an attack on anyone's personal freedoms? Sure, at first there might some who refuse to adhere to this law. But the message I think it sends is, we're not putting up with your barbaric treatment of women in our country, just as no one tolerates a skinhead demonstrator, and no one supports a racist and backward looking vernacular.

I live in Canada, and there has been similar discussion of a burka ban here, which I would support (even though we have a large Muslim population, I have never seen anyone wearing a burka in public). I'm all for freedom of expression and religion, and we have a very diverse culture here, but the burka is not freedom, it is repression.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index