114 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

the petty bourgeoisie
Sep 05, 2002, 16:11
o damn me and my oversimplifications

yes of course you are right that there are people 'stuck' between the two classes - traditionally known as the petty bourgeoisie. they could be the self-employed, or, as merrick says in one of those shitty 'team leader' type posts. they are, as i think you implied, a fairly deliberate attempt at making more people involved and thus COMPLICIT within the whole system of capitalism.

however, they are still the minority of jobs. even in my place - which goes for all this new managerialism bullshit bigtime - there are only three people in that kind of role, plus one 'big boss' and twenty workers. in this case most of the middle layer side with the big boss - they are all careerist wanker scum. However that's not always the case. BUT, and its a big but (thats why i put it in capitals) these people have no real INDEPENDENT position, they will always fal down on the side of those 'above' or those 'below' them - normally the former sadly, but thats only because the working class is so damn weak at the moment

according to surveys nigh on 70% of the UK population describe themselves as working-class - thats the largest number who have EVER done so apparently.

We live in a world, and more particularly in a country (well those of us in the UK do anyway) where divisions are growing by the day - Britain is now the most economically divided it has ever been according to the stats. The rich get richer whilst the poor get pooreer. That sounds to me like a world/country where class is still incredibly alive and strong.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index