59 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Blasphemy law abolished
Mar 10, 2008, 15:49
nigelswift wrote:
"I don't believe in fairies, but would I assert (with perfect confidence) that such a thing never existed? No. I can be almost 100 percent sure, but never all the way."

Exactly.
Now once the world is "almost 100 percent sure" there's no such thing as God, like I am, and starts acting in a way that "looks right" rather than looks "like God would think right" we'll have all grown up and the world will be a more righteous place. No more stoning of adulteresses. No more blessing of tanks. No more wasted Sunday mornings. ;)

This brings us back around to the practical aspects of how to achieve that. Attacking religion wholesale just closes their ranks.

Friendly persuasion, backed up with logic, is a better tool to achieve this than insults.

We also have to face the probability that belief in God is such a strong force (and in many quarters it's unshakeable) that it will never be dented. And so the alternate plan is to ensure that the extremist religions and the fundamentalist religions are marginalized. That will require the allegiance of more moderate believers, who are more likely to side with peaceful secularists than violent or even just plain whacky scripture-thumpers.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index