U-Know! Forum »
whaling and the wretched Japanese

46 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: whaling and the wretched Japanese
Mar 03, 2007, 12:06
Ok it was a generalisation. 'Wretched' is quite polite really.To be honest I was fully aware of my generalisation when I made it.

I know you have infinitely more understanding of the JApanese culture than I do. But would the general feeling in this country allow whale hunting of endangered species to go on here? I really think not. Similarly most of the population is against fox hunting and the death penalty, and those are things our laws now reject too. I don't think there can be a majority feeling against whale hunting in Japan or it wouldn't be happening.

Yeah I might be wrong.
Another thing I object to is that the Japanese line (unlike the Norwegians, who at least pull the sovereign cultural thing) is that it's for 'scientific research' which is a blatant fib. I would have more respect (although no less sympathy) if they just admitted they're doing it to eat the things, as they've done for centuries. However I happen to think that the cultural relativity argument doesn't apply when you're doing it on an industrial scale that damages the population size.

Besides, when I make remarks about 'bloody americans' it is merely shorthand for 'bloody americans who vote in a warmonger like George Bush who etc etc' - likewise of course when I say 'wretched Japanese' I am not referring to the apparent minority of Japanese who are dead set against whaling and skewering dolphins in the eye. But the majority of Americans (allegedly) voted Bush in. And the majority of Japanese (presumably) agree with whaling. So it's just convenient shorthand isn't it. I'm sure I'm not the only person who talks like this. You may think it means I am an uneducated and ignorant person, but maybe I'm only coming across that way, I think I'm quite aware and interested in other cultures actually.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index