That's a big burger

75 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: bigger burger
Sep 22, 2004, 08:20
And sod the suffering of the animals? No, not at all; people wanting to eat meat should ensure that what they buy has been as humanely reared as possible, and it is possible to rear farm animals without them suffering.

A free-range chicken, which is allowed to roam round clucking and pecking at corn is going to be about as happy as it's possible for a chicken to be, certainly far happier than a battery farmed chicken forced to live cooped up in its own excrement for the duration of its life, so yes, it's worth spending the time and extra money to buy free-range chicken.

I think this is a compromise, less radical and more workable than expecting everyone to be vegetarian.

If you're asking if I care about animal suffering, of course I do, as do the majority of meat eaters, I'm sure. I just think people have a right to eat meat if they want to, but I don't condone cruel farming practises. I think awareness of poor farming practises and the promotion of humane farming is the way forward, but I don't think we should all go vegan. Sorry.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index