The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Gorafe

4 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Re: Gorafe
Mar 27, 2003, 14:36
Thanks, Rhiannon. I had vaguely heard of the place but wasn’t expecting it to be so friendly in terms of accessibility. Most villages don’t care much for their heritage, but the situation’s changing fast due to popular demand and Gorafe is a pioneering village in terms of cooperation from their council. I have spoken to the lady in charge, a funky dolmen enthusiast who’s sent me a few of their great books about the area. Did you know the village is twinned with the Sardinian nuraghi? Yes, Julian’ll be checking this one out on one of his various trips through Iberia and will hopefully be in the coming Antiquarian.

Didn’t quite get your last question, if it’s about information centres they are popping up all over these heritage villages. They are generally good as long as they keep them as they are in an environmental and culturally-aware sort of walking route system. Although much of the time they also mean (especially the accessible ones) loads of offal all over the sites (that is beginning to include candles and flowers, though much of the Iberian peninsula is quite pre-new age in a way and very rough in terms of megalithic 'theme parks'; the good thing is, you still have to ask the shepherds who are the only people you will ever meet).

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index