Wanna be amazed?

11 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Jul 25, 2020, 06:42
Re: Wanna be amazed?
Jul 25, 2020, 06:40
"What struck me most was how amazing Stonehenge looked from afar, how the visitors walking around seemed tiny and almost insignificant. And that Stonehenge was really the centrepiece in a much larger ancient landscape."

And of course, viewsheds work in both directions, so what you saw is the same but opposite of what he is saying (although in his case the focal points are the Durrington Pits).

The implications of what he (and you) are seeing is further confirmation, on an epic scale, of a widespread neolithic talent for what Sandy Gerrard refers to as landscape "tricks and treats" at stone rows and Julian Cope has dubbed The Silbury Game. You can't get more impressive as a civilisation than to mould a whole landscape on such a monumental scale that it still speaks of your intentions 5,000 years later.

It would be great, wouldn't it, if it is Simon, one of the many much-maligned and patronised amateurs like us lot who finally defeats the whole power of the nasty gang including Grant Shapps, David Cameron, Highways England, English Heritage, Historic England and the National Trust who have all presented a vile pig's ear as an enhancement. I hates them I does.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index