14 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Notre Dame
Apr 15, 2019, 23:07
thesweetcheat wrote:
Maybe I'm currently feeling a bit low with every news story (plastic, poverty, Brexit, the rise of the far right) but this has upset me a lot this evening.

I'm not religious and I know it's ultimately just a building, but even so I have found this gut-wrenchingly sad. As you say, it contained so much age, history and amazing craftsmanship. It may be "new" in TMA terms, but it's still survived for the best part of a thousand years, years filled with almost unending bloody conflict across western Europe.

The latest reports suggest that a great deal of the fabric can be saved (although at least one of the rose windows is gone). Most importantly it doesn't sound as though anyone has died in the fire. I hope it can be rebuilt.

Thank you, you have articulated what everyone is feeling regardless of religious beliefs or politics. It is tragic - yet ironically the ugly Grenfell Tower was a far greater tragedy because it was full of people ... poor people. Does the craftsmanship that built the cathedrals all those centuries ago still exist I wonder.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index