Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2017, 09:54
Re: UNESCO say a polite no to tunnel
Jul 09, 2017, 09:41
nigelswift wrote:
It's a good discussion to be having today as hopefully The Lake District is about to be given World Heritage status.

Incidentally, one sentence in the Bath article stood out for me: "Enthusiasts for the scheme attack those who would keep Bath as "a city in aspic"". Aspic's impossible of course, but I don't like people who are trying to make hundreds of millions of pounds out of developments being contemptuous of conservation, as if it's somehow a bad thing.

I will be surprised if The Lake District isn't given WH status. I agree with you about developers - being a lone voice recently against a developer who wants to put a car park on an ancient, historic (prehistoric even) hilltop place in my town. All gone quiet at the moment but if and when it rears up again I may be asking for support from the Heritage Journal/Action group - who I respect greatly. For the record.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 09, 2017, 09:56
Sounds like something the Journal ought to feature, even at this early stage and particularly if you're a lone voice. Lone voices are always either heroes or cranks. Our followers tend to be both. ;) If you have any details we'd be grateful for them.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2017, 10:17
Jul 09, 2017, 10:14
nigelswift wrote:
Sounds like something the Journal ought to feature, even at this early stage and particularly if you're a lone voice. Lone voices are always either heroes or cranks. Our followers tend to be both. ;) If you have any details we'd be grateful for them.

Thanks Nigel. I don't think I'm a crank but then cranks rarely do. The planning application seems to have stalled - though the developer said just yesterday it is still on track. He has recently wound up one of his consultation concerns in the town. Anyway, not wanting to divert this thread away from Stonehenge - here is the local paper coverage from last year (excuse the advertisments that come with it). The Lawns is the site of the first prehistoric settlement in the area and overlooks the Berkshire and Marlborough Downs (including Uffington). It is a very peaceful place. I could discuss it with Heritage Journal via their their link on FB at some point - rather than here.
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/14462107.Developer_behind_Locarno_plans_gets_a_grilling_from_residents/
I'm sure this is the meeting I attended last year mostly attended by the business people of Old Town who were mainly in favour of car parking on the Lawns as a means of bringing more business to the area.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 09, 2017, 10:30
Wow, I love that second photo. That would definitely make a good article. Together with the great quote from someone who said "“I feel very, very strongly the Lawns should be left as they are. They are the closest thing Swindon has got to ancient sacred space and I will fight this” .... and then left. Was that you? The developer would definitely call you a crank and I'd definitely say hero.

Let's codge something together. I guess the approach should be to try to preserve the best bits not oppose the whole thing, but I dunno, it looks so beautiful. What about calling for it to be a wild flower meadow? Everyone loves those, they're like kittens. ;)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2017, 13:34
Jul 09, 2017, 13:08
nigelswift wrote:
Wow, I love that second photo. That would definitely make a good article. Together with the great quote from someone who said "“I feel very, very strongly the Lawns should be left as they are. They are the closest thing Swindon has got to ancient sacred space and I will fight this” .... and then left. Was that you? The developer would definitely call you a crank and I'd definitely say hero.

Let's codge something together. I guess the approach should be to try to preserve the best bits not oppose the whole thing, but I dunno, it looks so beautiful. What about calling for it to be a wild flower meadow? Everyone loves those, they're like kittens. ;)

Thanks Nigel, yes that was me. I don't object to the development proposals at all, it would certainly enhance what has recently become the fashionable part of town. My only concern is preserving the Lawns as an open space to walk - without cars. Can't do anything until the planning application goes in and, as I mentioned, the developer has stalled though is saying it is still on track. If he's got any sense he will have found another solution for car parking.

Anyways, don't suppose UNESCO would be interested - so back the A303/Stonehenge and The Lake District :)

Last paragraph edited:
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jul 09, 2017, 16:22
Howburn Digger wrote:
A longer tunnel, a land bridge, extensive use of landscape haha's, a Fairy Rainbow? There is simply is no end to the endless line of pointless pitches thrown by the infrastructure landforming Heritage Industry Companies like Infandor, Colicon, Myrimmer, Pelladinnor etc. as they try and get their respective snouts in the Public Money Slurry Pool.
If the road annoys the stones then close the road and make people go round the long way. If it simply annoys some visitors then they must be told to get over it. And get over themselves. They built a crapulous visitor centre and a bus road which cuts across the Henge not once but twice. What a sham. English Heritage suggests a visitor should
"Watch the seasons pass and take a trip through time with our incredible "audio-visual 360 degree view from inside the Stones" in the visitor centre. Imagine what it feels like to stand in the middle of Stonehenge at winter and summer solstice, with this unique and memorable experience."
If visitors are being encouraged to imagine that lot above the Pan Pipes, Dream Catchers and Ambient Whale noise then they can surely imagine that the traffic on the A303 isn't there...

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/content/properties/stonehenge/things-to-do/stonhenge_138-_15-08-14_robert-smith---copy-crop

I'd like the M74 removed and diverted under a big tunnel as it interferes with the vibes at Wildshaw Burn.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/3588/wildshaw_burn.html

K2 Plant Hire had the right idea. Enough of Stonehenge. It simply doesn't work properly any more. It has been broken down for years. Either let it crumble gently to dust or grind up the weathered old rocks, recast them with some industrial resin and reconfigure the place for a New Age. It'll cost a lot less than a tunnel or a Fairy Rainbow.

So what if we did nothing?

We would have a road already in place that on busy summers day creates a 30 minute crawl. Wow - the end of the world is nigh - but hold on a minute, we have time to take photographs! Aren't we scallywags!

The cost - nothing!

Take an alternative route and spend that crawl time on the move.

The cost - nothing. But for the driver, extra for fuel. Not quite the end of the world though is it. We do it all the time at OUR cost motoring up from Cornywall to Winchester to see the M-I-L!

Couple of local 'avoid' tips here. Will be much the same I expect.

http://www.stonehenge-traffic.co.uk/

http://www.sp-2.co.uk/how-to-avoid-stonehenge-traffic.html
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Jul 09, 2017, 16:26
I think Swindon's finest have the best answer.

https://youtu.be/ErWSYJYKM-Q

Hey!
I heard the dandelions roar in Piccadilly Circus
I heard the dandelions roar in Piccadilly Circus
Take a packet of seeds
Take yourself out to play
I want to see River of Orchids where we had a motorway

Push your car from the road

Just like a mad dog you're chasing your tail in a circle
It's all in your back yard
You've the whole world at your feet
I said the grass is always greener when it bursts up through concrete

River of Orchids winding our way
Want to walk into London on my hands one day
River of Orchids the road overgrows
Want to walk into London smelling like a Peckham beggar rose

You've the whole world at your feet
I said the grass is always greener when it bursts up through concrete

I had a dream where the car is reduced to a fossil
I had a dream where the car is reduced to a fossil
Take a packet of seeds
Get yourself out to play
I want to see River of Orchids where we had a motorway

Push your car
Push your car
Take a packet of seeds

River of Orchids winding my way
Want to walk into London on my hands one day
River of Orchids the road overgrows
Want to walk into London smelling like a Peckham rose
River of Orchids
I heard the Dandelions
River of Orchids
Just like a mad dog
River of Orchids
I had a dream
River of Orchids
I heard the Dandelions
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jul 09, 2017, 17:01
Jul 09, 2017, 16:57
Thanks tsc, very much after my own heart though I was actually living in London when they were active as musicians. I believe Andy Partridge stills in Old Town (where the Lawns is). Perhaps I should try and get him on board when/if the time comes to start making a nuisance of myself.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Tom Holland: how very rude!
Jul 19, 2017, 08:31
"An exciting opportunity for a historically-illiterate vandal to devastate our most precious prehistoric landscape!"
https://twitter.com/holland_tom?lang=en
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index