The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
SITE DAMAGE & FLY-TIPPING NOTED BY MEMBERS

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
CARL
511 posts

Re: SITE DAMAGE & FLY-TIPPING NOTED BY MEMBERS
Sep 29, 2015, 13:04
Forgot to ask - have you reported the damage to CADW?
cerrig
187 posts

Sep 29, 2015, 18:11
Not Cadw , but I have informed the National park. All a bit late and probably a bit pointless too , but at least they now know.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Sep 30, 2015, 07:22
cerrig wrote:
Not Cadw , but I have informed the National park. All a bit late and probably a bit pointless too , but at least they now know.

I have read about some authorities using covert cameras at some places to catch some pathetic sad morons like 'TD' in the act. Perhaps even signs warning 'You are on CCTV' at notorious spots such as Maen Llia might do something?
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Sep 30, 2015, 10:35
cerrig wrote:

Never too late! Also worth reporting to the police as its criminal damage. If enough incidents are reported more resources will be devoted to the issue and things like cameras may become possible.
cerrig
187 posts

Sep 30, 2015, 13:27
Cadw now informed
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Galloway
Sep 30, 2015, 21:30
Currently on a weeks explorations of the western end of Galloway.. three defiied sites not on TMA - but will be when I get back and sort pix - one cairn with a big obelisk recently plonked on top, one major triple ditch earthwork with ongoing severe erosion by livestock, one stone with a huge silage store freshly put a foot away - really - and one TMA site, Whirlpool fallen stone, which, like Carl, I couldnt find despite damn good look. Really wondering if its been removed : ( Thankfully found some fab places too to compensate.
Garn
10 posts

Edited Oct 02, 2015, 20:10
Oct 02, 2015, 19:54
cerrig wrote:
Cadw now informed

Hi Cerrig, are the new incisions definitely new?

I read a PDF from 2005 on Archwilio the other day and this mentioned the initials 'TD' carved into Maen Llia. It only mentioned one however.

I'll see if I can copy and paste the quote if I get a chance..
Edit.. Here's what it actually says on the page for the stone,

"A very large and impressive standing stone, aligned N-S, measuring c.3.65m high x 2.75m wide x 0.75m thick. Its base is surrounded by a hollow of sheep scour. Graffiti visible on the west face of the stone includes a date of 1860 and 'G HAY, ID, LC', whilst on the east face is 'TD'. The stone is situated on the west side of a valley, to the south of a col, and its siting affords views down the valley to the south. There is depth of peat up to 0.5m in close proximity to the stone. (CPAT 2004)"

(I'm just really hoping it's not another idiot round here...)
cerrig
187 posts

Oct 03, 2015, 15:05
I would have to agree with Carl that the one set of initials do look old , but there are at least two sets of td's , and I have never noticed either before , and when I noticed the one the other one became obvious . I think there is a new addition .
GLADMAN
950 posts

Jun 14, 2016, 18:25
The locality of Skelpick in general, in particular:

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/17830/skelpick.html

How the locals are allowed to get away with this - the accumulated rubbish is obviously household, not fly tipping from vans etc - is beyond me.

Anyone suggest an e-mail address of a body that might actually take this seriously?
GLADMAN
950 posts

Jun 14, 2016, 18:28
Collie na Borgie, too... my own experiences some time back supported by notes from Carl and Postie.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/5117/coille_na_borgie.html
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index