Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: The first site you ever visited.
Oct 06, 2012, 14:46
Garn wrote:
Cheers Paul. :)

I suddenly remembered about the Fish Stone after posting! We moved from the Valleys to Glanusk when I was nine and I had the run of the Estate..

Never really thought about how old it maybe until recently...
Will try and get permission to go for another look soon I think..

(Also will try visit the Gliffaes stone while i'm at it... )

Great topic though.. It's really made me realise how many monuments were around me growing up. :)

The Gliffaes stone is a very nice stone as well, those standing stones along the river may mark a really ancient track and signify lot's of neolithic settlement around. Keep a lookout for flints and neolithic stone axes by the water as lots are found in [and near rivers. I've always thought it mad that the sacred hill Myarth looks [especially on the 25 000 OS map of the area] just like a fish jumping out of the actual river, and then with the name of the stone it all gets a bit strange, have a look and see what you think, the hill is the fish and the river it's jumping out is the actual river, and when you come from lincolnshire like me, you appreciate any prehistoric remains as there isn't much around lincoln because 4000 years of intensive farming has destroyed nearly everything, i now live right down near land's end and feel spoilt for choice every time i leave my front [or back] door.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index