27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Bloody cows
Jun 17, 2011, 06:14
moss wrote:
Don't normally swear, and am a great fan of cows but these long horned beasts (sharpening their horns on the stones) on the Cornish moors leave a lot to be desired, at least their owners should have known better. Thank Natural England for their barbed wire and fencing off of sections of the moor, and more is on the way! Not sure if you can see this video, but it is on the SavePenwithMoor group.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sfrm=1#!/video/video.php?v=219547668068579&oid=270993623952&comments

Using Bodmin Moor a lot for exercising my dogs whilst exploring the stones/cairns/barrows etc like I do I have to say that I love seeing the Highland Cattle. It's not just them that cause damage though as the sheep and horses do the same. I suppose you could claim that the sheep are the worst as they create ditches around the base of the upright stones which then fill with water and become 'easier' to push over. But by far and away the worst culptits for me are the kids that are allowed by their parents to climb all over the stones (I'm thinking of the Hurlers now nearby to where I live). I've been over there many a time in the summer months where families virtually use the central circle as a football pitch and trying to take photos is impossible. At least with cattle you can chase them off, not so the kids who give you a torrent of abuse and are mainly backed up by their parents! I can't speak for other parts of the moor but the animals congregate at the Hurlers at Minions because that is where all the visitors arrive at to walk to the Cheesewring from and do feed the animals. I have some 'lovely' video footage of the car park awash with ponies amongst the cars. It is nice to see the bonding between man and beast although there is always a downside.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index