Silbury updates
This topic is locked

Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: 11 open questions for EH
Jun 06, 2007, 09:08
"May I also suggest that you send your eleven questions to English Heritage's 'Ask the Experts' board"

It seems to me from the answers that have been coming through that non-technical questions such as the Time Capsule issue are being fielded by technical people, not the people best placed to answer. Which is hardly fair on them or the public. So maybe they would be best directed to the Project Board not the "experts" on site (who may not even all be EH people).

Consequently, if I send my questions it will be to [email protected] who is the leading member of the Project Board and others may wish to do the same.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 06, 2007, 09:13
In fact, I've just forwarded my questions to him.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jun 06, 2007, 09:55
Well perhaps echoing your sentiments in a somewhat different form to EH...

Why should stringent conservation rules be applied to the final closure of Silbury Hill - the answer is it is in the unique position of being the largest man-made prehistoric mound in Europe, therefore important in its own right and comparable in fact to Stonehenge...
Sentimental 'time capsules' from the village school can have no place in a monument that will hopefully survive through future millenia. Having addressed the need to restore Silbury Hill to its original state (inasmuch as that can be done) the message is lets leave nothing in there that is part of 2007 - it is irrelevant.....
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 06, 2007, 10:49
It seems to me from the answers that have been coming through that non-technical questions such as the Time Capsule issue are being fielded by technical people, not the people best placed to answer. Which is hardly fair on them or the public. So maybe they would be best directed to the Project Board not the "experts" on site (who may not even all be EH people).

I'm sure you're right in that Nigel. However, English Heritage's 'Ask the Experts' link is the only readily available channel the general public have of... well... asking questions (and hopefully getting answers). If English Heritage don't have the right people in the right place to respond in the right way to the questions and concerns raised by the public that again shows a failing on their part and they should do something to correct that failing immediately. Writing to the Project Board is another prong in the pressure game, and I hope it will yield results; sadly however most of us know only too well that arguing a cause through bureaucratic channels achieves very little - petitions, meetings and letters of concern are neatly deflected by bureaucrats who have the machinery to do it very effectively.

Personally I don't think we should let up on any of the channels of pressure we have at our disposal. As a civil servant once told me, "If you want to win, get all the issues out in the public domain - there are fewer place to hide them there."
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Jun 06, 2007, 15:31
moss wrote:
Sentimental 'time capsules' from the village school can have no place in a monument .

I do not agree with burying the time capsule in Silbury either, but the EH work with the school is the result of other pressures and criticisms that rightly indicated that more work had to be done to include the locals and the locale past and present. Cultural integration and reflection is now a requirement of UNESCO's re WHS status, and interesting to note at the very time when the MP for Salisbury is reported as writing to UNESCO and suggesting WHS status is removed from Stonehenge as the scheme hasn't been decided (lest we overlook that Stonehenge and Avebury is the WHS, not just the famous place) although unlikely, were it to happen Avebury and Silbury wouldn't qualify without such as the outreach work in the school. If the time capsule is 'buried' at the site of the school now it is closing or better still in the AK museum, all of this solved.

VBB
tomwatts
376 posts

Re: Silbury updates
Jun 06, 2007, 16:02
goffik wrote:
Absolutely spot on, once again!

And - sorry to bring the tone down again, but...

Those PDFs are SHIT, aren't they?

I thought they were supposed to contain "information"!

G x

Does anyone else have problems loading the PDF's?
VenerableBottyBurp
675 posts

Jun 06, 2007, 16:42
goffik wrote:
Hmm...I realise that's a pretty unconstructive thing to say... But worst of all, I think I may have blown any chance of a reply to any questions I post them! Ah, well... It's only my opinion... ;o)

G x

If you are gonna have a go about the pdf's, you might say:

"Please sir can I have more?"

Just thought I would add a LITTLE TWIST...

VBB :)
slumpystones
769 posts

Jun 06, 2007, 17:16
tomwatts wrote:
goffik wrote:
Absolutely spot on, once again!

And - sorry to bring the tone down again, but...

Those PDFs are SHIT, aren't they?

I thought they were supposed to contain "information"!

G x

Does anyone else have problems loading the PDF's?

Old laptop here at the moment struggles bigtime, can take a minute or so to load, then viewing is stop-start, but I think it's as much to do with the file as the machine.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 06, 2007, 17:27
...EH work with the school is the result of other pressures and criticisms that rightly indicated that more work had to be done to include the locals...

With the very greatest respect VBB (and I do genuinely mean that) why do English Heritage believe that more work had to be done to include the locals? Do the locals have more right to voice their opinion on the future of Silbury than other concerned, and if I may say so, more relevant bodies in this country and abroad? Sorry, I do not think so. English Heritage are playing to the local gallery and are fooling no-one on the international stage. The locals have their village, let them tend to their village while the world tends (or tries to tend) to the correct preservation of this world famous monument.
slumpystones
769 posts

Jun 06, 2007, 17:39
Littlestone wrote:
...EH work with the school is the result of other pressures and criticisms that rightly indicated that more work had to be done to include the locals...

With the very greatest respect VBB (and I do genuinely mean that) why do English Heritage believe that more work had to be done to include the locals? Do the locals have more right to voice their opinion on the future of Silbury than other concerned, and if I may say so, more relevant bodies in this country and abroad? Sorry, I do not think so. English Heritage are playing to the local gallery and are fooling no-one on the international stage. The locals have their village, let them tend to their village while the world tends (or tries to tend) to the correct preservation of this world famous monument.

Totally correct. Especially as 'locals' nowadays are merely transient, up-and-away in a few years, and are hardly aware of their surroundings. I doubt they are really bothered if they don't get their kids, who will be living elsewhere by the time they go to college, a little piece of intrusive history.

This is so similar to London councils, stepping over those in real need to pay homage to militant minority groups because it's so politically correct to do so. Forget the homeless, there's a single-mother-lesbian-football club that needs funding!
Pages: 67 – [ Previous | 19 10 11 12 13 14 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index