Unsung Forum »
Zaireeka!

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dwight Fried
543 posts

Zaireeka!
Feb 27, 2003, 16:46
Found a copy of the Flaming Lips' 4-cd set yesterday at the Virgin Megastore in L.A.(horrible place-go to Amoeba instead!) It is extremely hard to come by-I was quite surprised to find it.
Any heads tried it out? For those who don't know, it's four discs to be played simultaneously.
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Re: Zaireeka!
Feb 27, 2003, 16:48
there is a one disc versin going around (I've got a copy if you want) that is pretty damned good.
a mate got hold of the original, and we - once - managed to get the required cd players together. it was mainly an 'interesting' experiment, tho occasionally it really did work and was ace. too long back and being only the once, i can't remember which those tracks were tho im afraid.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Feb 27, 2003, 17:00
there was a thread about this a while back I think. Also, Lord Lucan did a similar work for 4 cassette players I believe, and mixed that down to one recording too. Is that right LL? what was it called?
minchin hampton
51 posts

Feb 27, 2003, 17:36
I was lucky enough to be in New York in 1997(I think) and take part in one of their "Boom box "experiments. There were between 50 and 100
people in a room at the Lincoln center, the band handed each of us a Boom box and a numbered cassette . They then walked about the room barking orders through a megaphone telling us when to hit the play buttons etc.
The resulting piece of music was actually really impressive . I think the Zaireeka thing was a development of these experiments.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Feb 27, 2003, 17:54
Yep, did it for an art exhibition at the Brighton Festival last year. The original version for 4 CD players with independant speakers was called Perpetual Music because the CD players played at random on 'all repeat' (after not knowing what to call the music I went for the obvious). Mixed it down later to a user friendly hour-long single CD called Short Circuits. Didn't I give you a copy Squid?

I got Zaireeka too. I play it about once a year, and it feels like a real ritual, setting the CD players up and having at least 2 other people to help start them all simultaneously. Not a bad album, though they could have actually made more of the system it was designed for, I thought.
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Feb 27, 2003, 18:02
Yeah..they did their boombox experiments and 'parking garage' experiments which were roughly the same,only using the cassette players in cars..everyone just wandered around the garage listening to the everchanging sounds

Saw Zaireeka in a used shop in Boston whenI ws visting back in 2000..it was only $19,but I passed on it for some reason...kick myself everytime I think of it

*yeow!*
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

short circuits
Feb 27, 2003, 18:07
..Good stuuff,this..ws just "'phoning it in" the other night '-)
Dwight Fried
543 posts

Feb 28, 2003, 01:59
Thanx Necro, I'd love to hear it!
The 'Waitin' For A Superman' CD has mixes of '35,000 Feet of Despair' and 'Riding to Work in the Year 2025' that are pretty cool.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Feb 28, 2003, 09:28
yep, you gave me a copy LL - just couldn't be bovvered to hunt it out last night - I'll have a look for it tonight.
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

Mar 02, 2003, 14:46
d'ya not check youyr mails dood? or is that not a curretn address ur listed under hee
mail us ur addie at [email protected] & i'll bung it in the post for ya
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index