AMM

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

AMM
Jan 14, 2003, 11:37
I've been an admirer of AMM and all they stand for for a while, but haven't been able to get into the music enough for it to really satisfy me. Until last night that is. Being a bit whacked, I went to bed with headphones on and listened to 'Newfoundland' in the dark and I don't know quite why it worked last night, but I was absolutely blown away by it. I really, really got it this time. The interplay between the players is staggering for an improvising group. Truly uncategorisable stuff that teeters on the edges of jazz, modern composition and all sorts of other genres, but defies them all. This is so satisfying after being a bit scratchy-chin about some of the stuff I've heard of theirs. Some of it I actively disliked (The Crypt, for example) , but now I'm in luuuuurrve! Ain't it rewarding going from Hate to Love?

>glow<
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: AMM
Jan 14, 2003, 11:47
good drugs last night then LL?!
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jan 14, 2003, 12:24
>ahem<
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Jan 14, 2003, 13:41
I know what you mean. But wholly improvised music is no different to any other - you have to be in the mood and the right frame of mind, chemically assisted if that's your bag, for it to work. Next time you're feeling so receptive, give 'Live At The Crypt' another go. Like you, I hated it when I first it, but then it just hit me. Subsequent playings I've alternately hated and loved it again, such is the nature of this mind-blowing beast. I don't think I've ever heard more sensory-draining sounds on record. Easy listening it ain't! Apparently AMM are best experienced live, a pleasure(?) I've yet to experience, although I did once hear John Tilbury, their pianist, in concert with Evan Parker and it was a night to remember.

My fave overall AMM record of the five I own is 'It Had Been An Ordinary Enough Day in Pueblo, Colorado' which includes the excellent 'Radio Activity' - the nearest thing to music in the conventional sense they ever did. It's probably the only record they've released which can be analysed in musical terms. If I'm feeling brave I might attempt an 'Unsung' review if nobody beats me to it.

I always wondered what 'AMM' - presumably an acronym - was short for. Anyone know?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 14, 2003, 13:50
scuze me LL, in one of those moods I'm afraid. apololologies...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 14, 2003, 13:51
I quite liked 'It Had Been An Ordinary Enough Day in Pueblo, Colorado' too when I got it from the library recently, but I haven't heard any others. They sound an interesting bunch.
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Jan 14, 2003, 16:04
Found this interesting article on AMM...

http://www.matchlessrecordings.com/leaving_history.html
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Jan 14, 2003, 19:26
That IS a good article, Severin. Anyone interested in a rare, non-pretentious overview of AMM is recommended to check it out.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 14, 2003, 20:59
finaly got to see AMM in October 2001 the same night that i saw Kid Congo with Khan.
I got to shake hands with Eddie Prevost at the end of the set which was nice.
They seemed really meditational though i think I started off worrying about falling asleep or having to get up before the end to run off to the Kid/Khamn show.
I've had The Crypt since 88 and used to stick excerpts on compilation tapes I had. At the time I was using vynil so it was possible to see where the good bits were by looking at the grooves. I don't know how that'd work now that its on cd.
AMMusic 66 does at least have extra bits that weren't on the Elektra lp so it was possible to pick tracks to play on the radio show I used to do.
That was always a drag needing to find tracks short enough to play on a show that had finite time.
Stevo
Np Electric Wizard Solarian 13
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 14, 2003, 21:05
just remembered that I meant to say something about being in mthe Dublin megastore the next day and seeing somebody quizzically looking at Caravan's THGe Land of gRey and Pink.
I said that's a good one, the guy said he knew. I have a deep feeling that it was Keith Rowe.
oops
Stevo
Np Neil Young On THe Beach Walk oN
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index