Unsung Forum »
I Am A Faust Newbie

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sane Prof
3 posts

I Am A Faust Newbie
Jan 13, 2003, 13:42
I've only recently got into Faust, having bought 'So Far' a couple of months ago, and yesterday I bought 'Faust IV'. Love the album...walking home from Glasgow city centre with 'Krautrock' roaring in my ears was a particular highlight...but is it my imagination, or does the tracklisting on the CD get 'Giggy Smile' mixed up with 'Picnic...'?

This is probably a terribly inane question, I know!
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Giggy Smile.
Jan 13, 2003, 17:15
I thought the same. The track I think is 'Giggy Smile' is quite dreadful. Vocals copy the same melody as the guitar, whereas the track before it is really very good. I still can't stand the reggae song.

Like yourself, Sane Prof, I'm just discovering the delights of this area of music that had passed me by, mainly due to a couple of compilation CDs sent by friends made on this site.

Recommend 'Neu! 75', if you've not heard it. Bought it around Xmas time for a tenner at Music Zone and I've not stopped playing it since. Brilliant. I've yet to go back to Music Zone to expand my Neu collection.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Faust IV
Jan 13, 2003, 19:31
'Giggy Smile' is the track that Howden dislikes so much, with the vocal line matching that of the guitar as he says. The lyric is (I think) 'Please me baby tease me and I love your giggy smile...'. 'Picnic On A Frozen River' is much more laid back and quite beautiful.

The CD is a disappointment I think, and needs remastering. It's a shame that ReR didn't get the rights to it, as their latest reissues of the other Faust classics are excellent. If you ever get the chance to pick up a decent vinyl copy, it's worth the investment.

Get 'The Faust Tapes' next!

DW
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Telt Ye.
Jan 13, 2003, 21:04
As the sun goes down...

TonyK
242 posts

Faust v Can
Jan 14, 2003, 00:04
yeah you is right about the track listing on Faust IV. I think I actually prefer Faust to Can... what do people think? Note to self, must get Faust Tapes as I've got all the others.
Sane Prof
3 posts

Re: Faust IV
Jan 14, 2003, 01:13
I'm thinking maybe it's listed as 'Picnic On A Frozen River, Deuxieme Tableau' cos it does actually repeat the wee instrumental theme from 'Picnic...' (as heard on 'So Far') towards the end. I don't think it's exactly horrendous, just a bit daft...it makes me grin in the same way as 'The Sad Skinhead' does.

I think 'The Faust Tapes' will definitely be the next one to buy! An Edinburgh band who my band once played with ended up supporting Faust in Edinburgh a while ago, which was a tad bizarre to say the least. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I'd gone to see that now.
Heath
34 posts

Re: Faust v Can
Jan 14, 2003, 01:27
I personally love both, but I think I prefer Can slightly. More diverse so I can listen in different moods. Although that is a tough question.

H
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jan 14, 2003, 12:47
Not nice to have to compare the two, but I'm more of a Can-ite than a Faust-er if I had to choose. Can just had something musically that is uniquely theirs, and of course getting into them when I first discovered LSD helped turn them and their music into magic to my ears. Faust were a later discovery for me and never quite seemed as incandescent as Can. I thought they were too patchy really (though that's kind of the point I suppose!).
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2608 posts

Jan 14, 2003, 14:04
Hard to say, as they're two completely different sounding bands. That's the joy of the so-called 'Krautrock' scene: all of the main protagonists were startlingly individual. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Faust and Can were virtually genres in their own right, such was the originality and variety inherent in their music(s). Of the two I suppose I prefer Faust when I wanna drift, and Can when I wanna dance, but it's really not that simple. Couldn't possibly say I like one better than the other generally. The best Krautrock album is usually the one I've just played, whatever it is. As things stand it's 'Yeti'.
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 14, 2003, 14:39
if you can still get it I'd get the Wumme Years box set.
I think it works out cheaper than getting everything individually.
Does the BBC disc have a complete version of Faust IV with a different mix playing as a continuous track?
prolly about time I sat down and listened to that thing again.
plus the version of tapes on here has the tracks registering as separate points so you can see what went into the collage.
Stevo
Np Flashing Echo The Observers and King Tubbys Rebel Dance
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index