43 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 11/01/03
Jan 12, 2003, 16:04
FOETUS CORRUPTUS Rife
87 live gig. if this is from where i think it was I was in the audience. Surprised that Westberg's guitar ain't as noodly lead as I recall. mainly rhythm orientated (Parsons +Kyzis)
JADE WARRIOR Last Autumn's Dream
3rd lp by ex July progsters. Heavily Asian folk influenced. Veers between really quiet near ambient and way heavier. Was reminded of Blixa's guitar textures at points
LITTLE RICHARD The Original British Hit Singles
Goes from the first wave R+R stuff from 56 that seemeed to wake up most of the first generation of British mid 60s rock to more rock stuff from 64. the stuff from 60 is hard as a brick wall
NEIL YOUNG On The Beach/Live 71
Bootleg of the lp that Neil still refuses to release on cd. Alongside mostly acoustic live set from BBC radio in 71.
SHIRLEY COLLINS Within Sound Disc 3
From 70 to 77, 3rd disc from recently issued career spanning box set.
It might take a bit of getting used to her voice but I hear the seeds of the Current 93 sound in the droning arrangements with sister Dolly.
DEBRIS Static Disposal
Arizona mid 70s psych rock by tripping born agains. Heavy guitar distortion.
COUNTRY JOE AND THE FISH Electric Music For The Mind And Body
Great tripy band interplay. pretty definite must have if you like SF stuff at all
ALTERNATIVE TV The Image Has Cracked
Punk goes avant? Or is that the geezer wot wrote Sniffin Glue expands the parameters of what could be considered punk. That guitarist's great anyway. Seems to share something with Keith Levene.This comes double length with as much extra material as was on the record. Includes original of Viva La rocknroll.
GENESIS Nursery Cryme
Still sounding influenced by material from just before. tHink their heads weren't quite fixed yet. I heard the gAbriel era stuff was ok. I dunno how I feel about liking this, hope it ain't a bad sign but I think I do..
GHANA SOUNDZ
Ultra-funky Compi of 70s African funk Jazz etc. Goes from the fEla type opening track through 13 other hybrids of African/JB brilliance. Need more.
YES Close To The Edge
The space parts of this are ok, couldn't somebody remove Jon Anderson?That is to say the ensemble playing kind of touches me but Mr No-
balls just jars. I think Howe/Squire/Bruford and maybe Wakeman would be a great 3 or 4 piece. The instro stuff is really alien sounding, though I wish it was more groove orientated.
GRATEFUL DEAD Dick's Picks Vol 16
3cd set from November1969. Band including Tom Constanten in frequent
free-flightafter first disc which is more song orientated with the old time country stuff already coming in.
ALBERT AYLER Love Cry
Psychedelic lp by avant jazz primitivist. Have you heard the vocals on this disc?
I read the Forcedexposure review of this when it came out, talking about the photo of brother Donald Ayler looking at his trumpet as though it was alien, but I don't recall talk of the non verbal vocalisation on this. It is down right weird
ELECTRIC WIZARD Come My Fanatics…./Electric Wizard
Ultra heavy 1st 2 lps by Devon trio who apparently didn't split last year just lost their drummer. The development between these 2 records is noticeable they go from sounding like warped Sabbath to far more drone space orientated. Is all the fuzzmud bass cos otherwise how did they recreate this stuff live?
DAVID BOWIE Hunky Dory
Bowie's lyrics seem to be losing some of the juvenile pretension that mars the previous lp outside of its title cut. Shame that Mick Ronson ain't as audible here. This seems to be a lot more piano orientated. I love Kooks +remember Life of Mars from early childhood.
VARIOUS TROJAN Flashing Echo
Dub cd of 70-80 stuff as great as most of the other Trojan 2cd sets methinks. Heavy repetitivebass lines plus noise?
COIL The Golden Hare With A Voice Of Silver
Frequently eerie 2cd coupling of the Rusian overview cds. Lost Rivers of London is especially great. I must check out more of this stuff.
Stevo
Np ATV Image has cracked Another Coke
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index