Unexpected cover versions

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Re: Costello
Jan 05, 2003, 17:47
The only Elvis record I ever owned was Costello's country covers, 'Almost Blue'. Thought it was quite good. Remember the TV documentary where the Nashville producers thought he was pants and the whole thing was going to be scrapped until Elvis got shit-faced and could deliver the songs in style.
Jonathan Richman's country album was Ok too. He did some standards, and covered some of his own songs in a country style!
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Re: Unexpected cover versions
Jan 05, 2003, 17:50
A friend says that there is a Russian Techno version of The Smiths' 'How Soon Is Now' in existence. Mozzer goes EuroPop! Has anyone heard of it?
Howden
Howden
216 posts

All Time Fave
Jan 05, 2003, 17:59
Favourite cover version ever is The Scars doing 'Psychomodo', originally by Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel. Always knew it was a cover, but didn't hear the original until a couple of yeras ago. Both are brilliant, but I love the ferocity of The Scars' version.
Also, caught a band on the P-rock channel the other day and thought the song was very familiar. Turns out it was Fischerspooner doing Wire's 'The 15th'. Heard REMs' version of 'Strange' last week and thought they shouldn't have bothered...

There are some really interesting thoughts in this thread; I'm going to be chasing up some of the songs talked about!
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Re: Song To The Siren
Jan 05, 2003, 18:06
I adore 'Song To The Siren' by This Mortal Coil. Must confess to never having heard the original.
Interestingly, I played 'Gathering Dust' by Modern English the other week. This is covered on the 12". (Weren't some of the members of This Mortal Coil from Modern English?)
I've also dug out Felt's 'Primitive Painters' from the loft this afternoon. It has Liz Frazer guesting on vocals, and if I remember right, is an absolute corker of a track!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 05, 2003, 18:07
I seem to remember a dance/techno version of There Is A Light on a freebie CD. It was quite inventive as I recall. I'll have to do some serious rummaging to find it though.
Severin
Severin
1770 posts

Gathering Dust/Song To The Siren/Felt
Jan 05, 2003, 18:55
I was just playing "Gathering Dust" as well..it was added as the 1st track to the Japanese version of Modern English's great darkly gothpsychy 1st album Mesh& Lace...loads of other singles tracks added as well...yumm..
(1st cd I listened to in '03 fwiw)

There's an episode of The Monkees that ends with Tim Buckley singing 'Song to the Siren"..really lovely

Lastly..Primitive Painters is an ace track and Felt are a vastly vastly unsung band imo
(Love to find some of their more obscure stuff btw if anyone reading can help)
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Jan 05, 2003, 20:36
Police & Thieves - The Clash ..brilliant audacity!
Heard it through the Gapevine- The Slits
Jesus & Mary Chain- Who do you love?

plus the aforementioned Song to the Siren.
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Jan 05, 2003, 21:02
I used to have a cassingle of the Smiths on which they covered James' first 7" 'What's The World'. It was really good.
I really liked the early James, but kind of lost track of them after they started selling more T-shirts than records!
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

OH YEH almost forgot
Jan 05, 2003, 21:30
Roots Manuva - Yellow Submarine
PaulMakesMusic
951 posts

Re: Covers Albums anyone?
Jan 05, 2003, 22:30
Covers albums?

The ubiquitous Stairway to heaven cover by Rolf Harris comes from an aussie album called Stairways to heaven, which contained nothing but cover versions of the Led Zep classic. I've only heard a couple from it, but my favourite has to be the "I wanna hold your hand"-esque version by the Beatnix
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index